Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.11.4 not loading from NetInstall

Since 10.11.4 came out yesterday, I'm starting to test it with our OS X Server's NetInstall. I've downloaded it three times, and run SIU on it using both our existing 10.11 workflow as well as creating a new one. The workflow runs through fine, and 10.11.4 shows up on the server. However, when I try to boot to install it, the Mac (tried mostly Retina MBPs) starts booting the installer, gets about 3/4 of the line, then just stops.

It was happening yesterday when I was on 10.11.3 with Server 5.0.15, and it's still happening now that I've upgraded the server to 10.11.4 with Server 5.1.

Am I unique with this situation?

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 4:27 PM

From my tests today, no you are not. It boots flawlessly on anything with a built-in NIC, Retinas are another story. I found the boot will often stall as you describe with a Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter.

I've had near 100% success with a USB-Ethernet adapter, however. If you have one of those around, give it a whirl to see if you have better luck.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2016 4:27 PM in response to S.SubZero

From my tests today, no you are not. It boots flawlessly on anything with a built-in NIC, Retinas are another story. I found the boot will often stall as you describe with a Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter.

I've had near 100% success with a USB-Ethernet adapter, however. If you have one of those around, give it a whirl to see if you have better luck.

Apr 7, 2016 6:41 AM in response to S.SubZero

At first, I believed it was adapter related - but I quickly learned that no matter what connection I used (TB, USB, Enet, WiFi), trying to boot a hosted image (either NetInstall, NetBoot, or even the Apple Diagnostics) would have a 10 percent success rate when using Server with 10.11.4. I am currently building a MacMini server with 10.10 and going to move over my hosted images as a test. I will reply back after thats been done - people on the JAMF board are reporting success with that.

Looks like it may be an issue with 10.11.4 (although it felt like it started getting chunky with 10.11.3)

May 3, 2016 12:36 PM in response to S.SubZero

My NetBoot server is running 10.7.5 (old, but it works). Still no luck with getting 10.11.4 NetInstall set to work. Trying now on a recent MacBook Air. No booting with Thunderbolt or Wifi with 10.11.4. Both work with 10.11.3.

10.11.4 is working over a USB-Ethernet adapter, on both of the Air's USB ports. Though it's only 100Mb. Will try to get my hands on a USB3-GbEnet adapter.

May 3, 2016 1:22 PM in response to S.SubZero

It looks like the issue is within the update to the System Image Utility.

Any image I create on any other version of the SIU work/boots flawlessly every time. Only images that I build on the newest version of SIU fail 3/4 of the way through 90 percent of the time.

I have been working with Apple Engineers through our enterprise support channel. They have been made aware of the issue, but we are in a hurry up and wait situation.

The workaround for this right now is to build images on an older version of the SIU.

May 5, 2016 7:28 AM in response to jeffk395

I have confirmed this with Apple last Night that this is an Apple Bug in 10.11.4, not SIU. Interestingly enough they inquired about the impact this had on my business and what upcoming purchases this would hold back, i.e. how much $$ was I planning on spending on new Apple hardware. If this is how Apple is allocating resources to fix bugs then I say if your having this issue, call Apple Support and once they escalate you to Enterprise Level 3 tell them what your $$ plans on for Apple hardware. If they get enough reports they should fix this sooner rather than later...

LJS

May 27, 2016 7:41 AM in response to S.SubZero

Works fine here on a home LAN. I restarted my rMBP and selected the 10.11.5 NetInstall. The rMBP booted to the OS X Utilities Menu. I launched DU - QUIT; then launched Reinstall OS X. I QUIT the installer since I really didn't want to install it.

Is your situation different? Are you able to boot to the OS X Utilities Menu, but not able to actually install when Reinstall OS X is selected?

Mac Mini late-2014

OS X Server 5.1.15

NetInstalls - OS X El Capitan 10.11.5, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, OS X Mavericks 10.9.5, OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Make Available over: NFS

MBP Retina early 2015

Thunderbolt-Ethernet Adapter

OS X 10.11.5

10.11.4 not loading from NetInstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.