Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage

Hello! I have a huge problem. Entering correct - but I have written "An error occurred while identifying the" bug. What can be wrong?

Today I bought a new laptop MacBook Pro (Retina 13-inch, Early 2015)

OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 2:03 PM

15 replies

Mar 22, 2016 2:55 PM in response to uaradzhet

Hi,

Do you mean in setting up the iMessages account in Messages you are sure you have entered the correct details but got an error message ?

If so restart the computer and start again.

User uploaded file

9:55 pm Tuesday; March 22, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Aug 1, 2016 8:39 PM in response to uaradzhet

I have the same problem. El Capitan 10.11.6. When I try to start Messages it says it can't log into iCloud because of "a problem with the iCloud account" Then it invites me to fix it in iCloud system preferences. However, when I go there it says my password "needs to be updated" and when I key in my correct password it says "an unknown error occurred".

I've been round this loop multiple times and I've even updated my password. I can log in to iCloud fine on both the iPhone and the Mac; however Messages and Facetime both refuse to accept my login credentials. iMessage and Facetime are both properly activated on the iPhone and I can make calls/messages with both of them on the iPhone.

I think this may possibly have started when I did an iPhone update to 9.3.3 but not 100% sure.

Aug 2, 2016 1:57 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply. I just found what the problem and solution are so I'm posting it here in case it helps someone in the future:

Under some circumstances a certain pattern of usage (in my case a computer de-authorization and re-authorizartion) can put an iCloud account into "challenge" status. This is apparently a security measure. It stops Messages and FaceTime from accessing iCloud although other iCloud features seem to work normally. When that happens it requires a call to Apple and human intervention by Apple to re-activate those features. They tell me it will take 24 hours for that to take effect. Fingers crossed.

Aug 3, 2016 12:17 PM in response to kmacstarter

Hi,

The Original Poster said it was with a New computer in which you get Apple Care.

However we know that the Apple ID used by the Mac for iMessages can randomly get blocked at the iMessages server.

It's supposed to be a security feature but some people seem to find it gets triggered without any apparent input in Messages.

It does seem to centre around the OS X 10.11 Upgrade and then the Updates at 10.11.3 and 10.11.5 (Yosemite also had some but less issues and it happened before that as well).

The Only Fix is to speak to Apple Care (Apple Support) and say you have an Apple ID issue (Free to fix if your Apple Care has officially finished).

It then takes time to get elevated past the level 1 responders who are following scripts. (Be polite and insist on speaking to someone higher).

Some Level 2s know about the issue but do seem to be tasked with trying things you may not have and data gathering.

Reinstalling, Upgrading or Updating do not work.

Eventually you get told the Engineers will have to reset it and that can be between 24 hours and 5 days judging by the posts others have made when they do report back.

Some specifically note the follow-up phone call is often missing.

User uploaded file

8:17 pm Wednesday; August 3, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Nov 30, 2016 11:49 AM in response to BMWman1029

Hi,

Apple's Password policy has been 8 or more characters with a mixture of upper and lower case letters plus at least one digit for some time now. (that is at least one upper case letter along with at least one lower case letter and the digit).

Are you saying that it is different from that ?

User uploaded file

7:49 pm Wednesday; November 30, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.