Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 to 10.11.4 Server Update Fails

Let it be known that updating from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4 Server could hang on updating Web Services rendering some services useless. Nothing I've tried fixes this issue. If anyone has a solution please let me know sooner than later. Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Update fro 10.11.3

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 4:45 PM

6 replies

Mar 23, 2016 7:27 AM in response to UBCALM2

I just did an (10.11.4) update and although the System runs the internet connection is dead! I can connect to the unit remotely so the Ethernet/WiFi is all working fine and I can see it on the local network, but can't connect to anything outside the office.

Right now the Server app is being updated, so will wait to see if that helps, but hearing this (above) I'm a little worried. The Server app has been downloaded, but now waiting for the 'Web Service' to do it's thing, so will wait and see how this goes for a little while.

Will see how it goes and report back.

Mar 23, 2016 3:22 PM in response to KRIBkia

Yup, same here. Any solution?

Another stupid thing that Apple did was only allow the latest server software, 5.1, to run on this version of OS X. So i have a server, and as typical I updated the OS first, then the server. But once you update the OS, the server will no longer run, which includes the DNS server. I thought this is what was preventing the OS from getting the Internet, but I guess not. So now Internet doesn't work, and i can't update or run the server because no Internet. Thanks Apple.

Mar 23, 2016 3:46 PM in response to Allen

Yeah, that's burned me more than once when that happened with DNS.

What I did awhile ago is to put one of Google's DNS servers in the network preference of the server.

So if your server is 192.168.1.1 put a public DNS after it (Google or OpenDNS or even your ISP).

Your server will always use the local (first one) unless it can't be reached. This works great for situations like the above, it'll fail to the public one and allow Server to be installed/updated.

Mar 28, 2016 9:01 AM in response to Steven Major

Are you sure about the order? Apple had switched it up at some point so that it used the addresses randomly, which totally screwed with some setups. Did they switch it back to in-order DNS server querying? Just having a public address will still work since if it tried to query the local service and it failed it would then try another service (similar to in-order querying), but if you get service back up and running the DNS queries could go to either the internal (probably the desired behavior under most scenarios) or it might query the external server which might not be ideal for internal resolution (eg for an internal resource like laserjet.insidedomain.com).

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 to 10.11.4 Server Update Fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.