Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Definitive Answer - El Capitan / Adobe CS6

There are a handful of features I have been eyeing on El Capitan, but have been weary about upgrading from Yosemite because of the Adobe Creative Suite I use regularly. I have been reading up a lot, but have yet to find a definitive answer on compatibility. I was wondering if anyone out there had a solid answer and experience with using (or not using) CS6 within OS X El Capitan. I am most concerned with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, but I also use After Effects, Premiere, and Audition fairly regularly.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 5:42 PM

20 replies

Apr 21, 2016 5:57 AM in response to jtfdesign

jtfdesign wrote:

I have been reading up a lot, but have yet to find a definitive answer on compatibility.

There is a good reason for that. It will vary depending on which hardware it's running on and what other software is installed. It can also depend on which features a user makes use of in a particular application. In other words, one user may use certain features of an app that work fine, but another user may use other features that don't work at all.

Just my two cents.

Apr 21, 2016 5:57 AM in response to huggybears

Adobe has made it clear they do not support Creative Suite any longer, this was announced before the release of OS 10.11 so any comptatiblity is not intentional and if an incremental upgrade breaks compatibility there will be no fix from Adobe or Apple

So while adobe has never posted AFAICT as document on the support matrix of CSx they have posted on one for Photoshop

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

no version of Photoshop other than CC2015 is supported by Adobe in OS 10.11 and any performance issues, compatibly issues or lack there of are exclusive to the user.

Adobe CS Design Standard can be purchased from Adobe, Adobe states the compatibly is limited to OS 10.6.8 or 10.7 on their website.

http://shop.adobe.com/store/adbehme/en_IE/pd/ThemeID.29250800/productID.24925700 0

May 6, 2016 10:55 AM in response to jtfdesign

I Know this is not what you are looking to hear, but this has helped a lot of people I know that used Adobe software. Maybe it can help you.

What we did is to move to other non-Adobe software from CS6 and we are very happy with this decision. No more worrying or waiting for Adobe to support OSX El Capitan or future OSX versions. There are plenty of choices out there. Find the ones that work for you and drop Adobe.

see what other software can work for you.

May 6, 2016 10:57 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

JimmyCMPIT wrote:

Adobe CS Design Standard can be purchased from Adobe, Adobe states the compatibly is limited to OS 10.6.8 or 10.7 on their website.

http://shop.adobe.com/store/adbehme/en_IE/pd/ThemeID.29250800/productID.24925700 0

That offer may be geographically limited. The web page says it's the Middle East and North Africa store. I can't find that product on North American web site pages.

May 6, 2016 11:26 AM in response to Network 23

Short answer, No.

see the link

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs6-system-requirements.html

long answer

this is how I got the link

info: at 14:15:13

Please hold as we route your chat.

info: at 14:15:13

Hello, welcome to Adobe! My name is 'Adney'.

Adney: at 14:15:15

Hi, may I have your first name please?

you: at 14:15:19

Jimmy

Adney: at 14:15:27

Hello Jimmy.

Adney: at 14:15:27

It's nice to have you on chat. How can I help you with your purchase today?

you: at 14:15:55

Is Adobe CS6 still available for purchase in North America and if so is it supported under Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan)?

Adney: at 14:16:31

I'm sorry, the CS 6 is very older version software which is not available in online.

you: at 14:16:48

thank you.

Adney: at 14:16:55

Currently we do have Creative Cloud software;s.

Adney: at 14:16:56

To help you better can you tell me what kind of tass would you like to accomplish using the software?

you: at 14:17:06

if I own it is it supported under OS 10.11?

you: at 14:17:29

I am requiring legacy compatiblity

Adney: at 14:18:14

Adney: at 14:18:32

Please click the above link to know the system requirements for CS 6.

you: at 14:19:12

thank you.

Adney: at 14:19:21

Do you have any more questions?

Adney: at 14:21:32

I'm sorry. Did I lose you on this chat?

Adney: at 14:22:31

I'm sorry, we have not heard from you. We're happy to help. However, if you do not respond soon, this chat session gets terminated automatically.

May 18, 2016 5:56 AM in response to XP45

the link is up-to-date, because the product is no longer supported by Adobe, the content of the link coincided with the lifecycle of the product that ended years ago. CS6 is now Use at your own risk software and while much of it appears to work not all of it does depending on a host of factors. If Photoshop works for you (In Yosemite, which is another forum enitrely) that's great, but Illustrator and InDesign and InCopy and Dreamweaver and Acrobat Pro have their share of problems in OS 10.11 which is the point and they are also CS6 products, and Adobe will not support this software any longer, even the link on the page that says 'call to buy CS6" when you call they will no longer sell it to you.

http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6.html

May 25, 2016 4:31 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Hi Kurt,

OK, so now we all know that the definitive' answer' (or not!) is that Adobe CS6 'can be' problematical in certain circumstances in operation under El Capitan.

Your way of testing by installing El Capitan and CS6 on an external hard drive and booting from it is he best way to go. I shall be doing the same thing when and if I need to consider updating to EC.

I am in the same situation as many impoverished designers in that I just cannot afford to pay a subscription for CC and quite frankly am annoyed that we are being forced to pay up or lose out.

I've been looking closely at Affinity Designer (to replace Illustrator) and Affinity Photo (Photoshop) - both very good apps.

Definitive Answer - El Capitan / Adobe CS6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.