Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Mac's Spell Check — Why So Awful?

I have been using Mac's now since the early 1990s, and would never consider any other computer. I am a diehard fan.

However, I have to point out that the spellcheck on the Mac could do with some major improvements in terms of its ability to guess and suggest the correct spelling, when a spelling error occurs. The Mac really is really appalling sometimes in terms of its complete inability to guess the correct spelling.

For example, if you type the following spelling error into the Mac:

approximaltey

it is pretty clear that the Mac should be suggesting the correct word: "approximately" when you right click on the misspelled word, and get the Mac's pop-up menu spelling suggestions.

Yet in this example the Mac seems incapable of recognizing the correct word, and so does not present any spelling suggestions when you right click on this misspelled word. The pop-up menu just says: "No Guesses Found". And this is not an isolated example: I frequently find that the Mac is clueless at guessing the correct spelling for lots of words that are only slightly misspelled.

However, if you type the same misspellings into a Google search, Google guesses and suggests the right spelling correction every time.

So if Google is able to correctly guess the right spelling correction for slightly misspelled words, why can't the Mac?

Apple, what is you answer to this?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), null

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 3:31 AM

It is not a recent thing!

This has bothered me forever and I cannot comprehend why Apple has not fixed this.

It has always made Mail an inefficient program and a major PITA.

If the spell check can pick out the wrongly spelled words then it should be able to make some suggestions too. MS Word has had this ability since the dawn of times.

This is so symptomatic for Apple's priorities and general attitude:
"We don't really care about real usability. Functioning spell check in your most used program on your computer? Forget it, give me your money. Haha!"

This is one one the (many) reasons I feel like Apple is no longer for me: Still no working "suggestions function" in Mail! How do they get away with it? Just u-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e.

Example from just now (Norwegian interface, but English "spell check" 🙂):

User uploaded file

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2017 3:31 AM in response to Chris Slowe

It is not a recent thing!

This has bothered me forever and I cannot comprehend why Apple has not fixed this.

It has always made Mail an inefficient program and a major PITA.

If the spell check can pick out the wrongly spelled words then it should be able to make some suggestions too. MS Word has had this ability since the dawn of times.

This is so symptomatic for Apple's priorities and general attitude:
"We don't really care about real usability. Functioning spell check in your most used program on your computer? Forget it, give me your money. Haha!"

This is one one the (many) reasons I feel like Apple is no longer for me: Still no working "suggestions function" in Mail! How do they get away with it? Just u-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e.

Example from just now (Norwegian interface, but English "spell check" 🙂):

User uploaded file

Jul 28, 2017 6:27 AM in response to Hip89

Please continually improve or entirely replace the auto correction tools with all Apple Products. The correction tools entirely diminished the integrity and quality of the those who write meaningful words, to the external world. That includes SIRI. A simple question regarding what is the Tide schedule yields football reports at the University of Alabama (i've never been a fan of football nor Alabama). Quite often the meaning, the context of a sentence structure is 180 degrees off, unless you spend twice as much time evaluating the sentence, spelling, and context. In other words you create 3 times the amount of work, when you correct one word. It is horribly "slacking" and diminishing all of the great attributes of Apple products. Especially with IPADS. I've heard Airline Pilots mention, they can not even create a Paragraph, nothing but an extremely long written path. Since some things in life are complex, and many have implemented your equipment as a means of communicating, please update the capability to something like "grammarly", or I will just turn off why I bought the communication tools I so desire to use.

Mar 23, 2016 12:01 PM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for your reply, dialabrain.

That is very interesting that the Mac's spellcheck suggestions work OK for you. They definitely do no work OK for me, as you can see:

User uploaded file

I have tried this using US, British, Canadian and Australian English, and I get the same result. There aren't really many spelling settings on the Mac, so I don't think this can be an issue of spelling settings. I get the same issue whether or not I select "Correct Spelling Automatically", or whether or not I select "Check Grammar With Spelling".

I appreciate that this is a user to user forum, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple reads it from time to time.

Mar 23, 2016 12:20 PM in response to pinkstones

Thanks for the suggestion, pinkstones, but this problem occurs on all words, not just on the "approximaltey" example I gave.

If the misspelled word is very close to the correct spelling, then the spellcheck on my Mac does provide the right suggestions. So if we take a second example of "approximatey", which is closer to the correct spelling, then my spellcheck does give the spelling correction suggestions, as you can see:

User uploaded file

But if the misspelled word is slight further away from the correctly spelled word (in terms of the Levenshtein distance), then my Mac says "No Guesses Found".

Feb 10, 2017 2:41 PM in response to mtill

Agreed!! this is so frustrating as I am a terrible speller, only fair typist, and as a writer I depend so much on spellcheck.

Agreed that Apple should have fixed this LONG ago. I know how to look a word up, and add to dictionary, but the point is, I should not have to do this ALL the time, with the simplest of words.

Mar 23, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Hip89

Hip89 wrote:

That is very interesting that the Mac's spellcheck suggestions work OK for you. They definitely do no work OK for me, as you can see:

User uploaded file

I have tried this using US, British, Canadian and Australian English, and I get the same result. There aren't really many spelling settings on the Mac, so I don't think this can be an issue of spelling settings. I get the same issue whether or not I select "Correct Spelling Automatically", or whether or not I select "Check Grammar With Spelling".

I appreciate that this is a user to user forum, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple reads it from time to time.

If this bothers you so much, go into System Preferences --> Keyboard --> Text and press the ➕ button. In the left column, type "approximaltey" and in the right column, type "approximately." That way, when you accidentally type the former, it will replace it with the latter.

Feb 2, 2018 7:02 AM in response to Hip89

I agree. The spellcheck and grammar check function in Apple Mail is terrible and it's unconscionable that Apple lets it continue torturing users in this way. For instance, why does it continue to highlight and question the use of the word "are" in the simplest, correct sentences such as "I was wondering if you are coming to the meeting?", or highlight and question the correct use of the contraction "you're" in a sentence such as "If you're ready to have some fun" (always asking if I mean the incorrect word "your"!). Or highlighting and questioning the word "is" in a typed sentence with the words "this is not accurate". And why does it give options I have to click such as "next" or "ignore" with no "learn" option so it will stop questioning in every single one of hundreds and thousands of emails? Apple, what is your answer to this? Show you actually care about customers and fix it.

Mar 23, 2016 12:41 PM in response to Hip89

Hip89 wrote:

I owe you an apology. I didn't think about it until today but my result was because I was in Firefox which doesn't use OSX's spell checking but its own dictionary. I did play with spelling variations of approximately using OSX's spell checking and as you mentioned above, sometimes the correct spelling is offered and sometimes "no guesses" is the result. All I could tell is how a word is misspelled makes a difference.

It remains to be seen what if anything will change in future versions of OSX.

The Mac's Spell Check — Why So Awful?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.