Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating to El Capitan it will not let my macbook pro won't shut down unless I hold the power button. Fix?

I updated to El Capitan yesterday and since I have not been able to shut down my macbook. The top bar disappears but I can still move the mouse and click on applications. The only way I can shut it down is by holding the power button! Is there any way this can be fixed?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 23, 2016 3:51 AM

23 replies

Mar 23, 2016 10:32 AM in response to beth_16

I updated my Macbook Pro also, four moths ago from Yosemite to El Capital. soon after the installation my Macbook wouldn't reboot or shut down. To shut it down i have to hold the power button for a couple of seconds. the worst part is i can't even update my unit because of this restart issue. I have read every article there probably is and non is useful to me.

Specs:

Macbook Pro (retina, 13-inch, mid 2014)

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

El Capital 10.11.4

Please assist as this hinders my work progress.

Mar 23, 2016 10:42 AM in response to itsurboymaz

itsurboymaz wrote:

I updated my Macbook Pro also, four moths ago from Yosemite to El Capital. soon after the installation my Macbook wouldn't reboot or shut down. To shut it down i have to hold the power button for a couple of seconds. the worst part is i can't even update my unit because of this restart issue. I have read every article there probably is and non is useful to me.

Specs:

Macbook Pro (retina, 13-inch, mid 2014)

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

El Capital 10.11.4

Please assist as this hinders my work progress.

Start your own thread, you'll get better attention that way.

Since updating to El Capitan it will not let my macbook pro won't shut down unless I hold the power button. Fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.