Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete Google.com Search History in iOS Safari (and Prevent It From Continuing to Save It)?

On my iPhone, when I open Safari and go to google.com, clicking inside the search bar reveals my last 3 searches. If I choose "Clear History," it will allow me to delete those searches, but then shows the 3 searches that came prior to that.

On that clear history page, it says "Go to Preferences for more options." There isn't a preferences option on the google webpage, just a settings page. I've got all website tracking turned off there. If they mean preferences on the phone, I'm not sure where to look.

Regardless, I'd like to delete all of this search history and prevent Google from continuing to save these searches. Any advice?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 23, 2016 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2017 11:13 AM

I see no option for web history on my google settings page.

9 replies

Mar 24, 2016 1:55 PM in response to cdspam33

cdspam33 wrote:

On my iPhone, when I open Safari and go to google.com, clicking inside the search bar reveals my last 3 searches. If I choose "Clear History," it will allow me to delete those searches, but then shows the 3 searches that came prior to that.

On that clear history page, it says "Go to Preferences for more options." There isn't a preferences option on the google webpage, just a settings page. I've got all website tracking turned off there. If they mean preferences on the phone, I'm not sure where to look.

Regardless, I'd like to delete all of this search history and prevent Google from continuing to save these searches. Any advice?

Are you clicking in the address bar of Safari, or are you clicking in the search field on the google.com web page?

If it's the search field on the web page, you probably need to log out of any Google account that you're currently logged into to stop tracking (and clear cookies later), or switch to use a new tab in Private Browsing mode for Google searches.

Note that you can stop Google suggestions when typing in the address bar in Safari by going to Settings > Safari > Search Engine Suggestions and changing the On/Off switch to the OFF position.

Mar 25, 2016 7:40 AM in response to ddkilzer

I'm clicking in the search field of the google.com page.

Tried logging out of my account, but it still continues to track this info. And going into Safari settings and clearing history and website data does not delete the search history. The only way to do it is to go into the Advanced Safari preferences and manually delete google.com from website data.

I can certainly use private browsing to prevent these searches from being saved. I'm just amazed that Google would continue to track even though I have every one of their settings "paused."

Jul 19, 2016 7:09 PM in response to cdspam33

cdspam33 - I don't know if you ever found a solution to your problem but I just figured it out. I too was also annoyed with my iPhone saving all my google searches, and would show the last 3. My iPad never gave me this problem even though I have google set up as the default browser on both devices. And this happened even though I'm not signed into google (I use the mail app to handle my emails)

Anyway, this just worked for me and I tested it a few times. Open safari, then Google. Now scroll the google page up on your phone as the settings menu was hid below the bottom on my phone. So scroll the page up with your finger and you'll see settings on the left. Tap that, then tap "search settings". the first entry on the new screen should say "search history" and "save searches" is probably selected. Select "do not save searches". Then, very important, scroll to the bottom and be sure to hit "save". And you should be all set - Hope this helps

May 15, 2017 9:59 AM in response to cdspam33

FOUND IT!!!!!! go to google.com, top right click on the cog icon (settings), click on "web history" (the one at the bottom, just below language tools), and click on the blue button. That's it. You should also do it on google.com/ncr and any other local google that you use (i.e. google.com.mx for Mexico and so on). Hope this helps. This problem was very annoying for me. Almost drove me crazy.

Aug 21, 2016 1:53 PM in response to OptiClaus

I have the same problem as cdspam33, but when I followed your instructions the "do not save searches" option was not there. In fact, all it let me do was go the the My Activity page and delete stuff from there, which is not exactly the cleanest option. That ability to delete searches was also not available on the iPad so I had no way of removing the last three searches other than by manually clearing it. Could you post a few screenshots if possible?

Delete Google.com Search History in iOS Safari (and Prevent It From Continuing to Save It)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.