You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can one Apple Pencil be used on two iPad Pros -- a large and small -- without having to plug it into the iPad?

Can one Apple Pencil be used with two iPad Pros -- a large and small -- without having to plug it into each iPad before every use? Will the same Apple pencil be able to go back and forth between two iPad Pros?

iPad Pro, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 23, 2016 4:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 4:47 AM

So to be clear ... If I use Apple Pencil on iPad Pro #1 then want to use it on iPad Pro #2 I have to plug it in to pair. Then when I switch back to iPad #1 I would have to plug back into pair. I envision situations when I may want to work between 2 iPad Pro with one pencil and was hoping I would not always have to plug / unplug to pair every time!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 24, 2016 4:47 AM in response to MichelPM

So to be clear ... If I use Apple Pencil on iPad Pro #1 then want to use it on iPad Pro #2 I have to plug it in to pair. Then when I switch back to iPad #1 I would have to plug back into pair. I envision situations when I may want to work between 2 iPad Pro with one pencil and was hoping I would not always have to plug / unplug to pair every time!

Mar 24, 2016 11:16 AM in response to KaizenRay

KaizenRay wrote:

Not Possible.

WIth Bluetooth devices, you can only pair to one host device at a time. When you pair a Bluetooth device to another host device, you break/lose the connection to the previously connected host device.

You can have multiple Bluetooth devcies pair and sync to one host device, but not to multiple host devices simultaneously.

Sorry.

Jul 28, 2016 6:09 AM in response to MichelPM

Disagree. at least the repairing process can be made far smoother.... take the example of Logitech ultra thin mouse which allows pairing with two host devices by tweaking a switch , and likewise a Taptic sensor can be designed at where your thumb touches the pencil during writing to enable that near-seamless transition.

This is not technological constraint... but the question of walking the extra mile

Can one Apple Pencil be used on two iPad Pros -- a large and small -- without having to plug it into the iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.