Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does netbiosd really do?

I'm using Activity Monitor to try to limit my Mac hogging my bandwidth. One process that's very active is netbiosd. I've looked it up (including other discussions here) and all the info I can find says that it's used for sharing folders with Windows. I've got all sharing turned off, though, and it's still running & using bandwidth.

What's it really doing?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Mar 23, 2016 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 5:56 AM

In Finder Preferences : Sidebar, do you have Bonjour computers checked. This will present a SHARING Finder side-panel entry that shows a list of Windows machines, NAS servers, etc on your network that are offering SMB connections. I believe that SMB travels over the top of the NetBIOS Session Service, and if true, would explain why yours, and my netbiosd are running right now, because it is a method to detect SMB availability.

In my case, I have two NAS servers offering SMB connections, and a Western Digital TV Live unit also shows up. If there is a PC on your local network that has Sharing enabled, it will be advertising like this too.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2016 5:56 AM in response to jiglar

In Finder Preferences : Sidebar, do you have Bonjour computers checked. This will present a SHARING Finder side-panel entry that shows a list of Windows machines, NAS servers, etc on your network that are offering SMB connections. I believe that SMB travels over the top of the NetBIOS Session Service, and if true, would explain why yours, and my netbiosd are running right now, because it is a method to detect SMB availability.

In my case, I have two NAS servers offering SMB connections, and a Western Digital TV Live unit also shows up. If there is a PC on your local network that has Sharing enabled, it will be advertising like this too.

What does netbiosd really do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.