Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod nano driver for windows 10

My iTunes will not recognize my iPod Nano. Yes it is an older 32 pin connector. Yes, I have Windows 10. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes per the instructions from Apple but no go. HELP!!!

Thanks

MFD

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 8:18 AM

If possible, try a different USB docking cable with 30-pin connector, to rule out faulty cable as the cause.

When you connect the iPod, watch the iPod's screen. Does it say "Do not disconnect" or "Connected" or give other indication of a connection" Or does it only show the battery charging symbol? Or does it not react at all to being connected?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2016 8:18 AM in response to MichaelFDavis

If possible, try a different USB docking cable with 30-pin connector, to rule out faulty cable as the cause.

When you connect the iPod, watch the iPod's screen. Does it say "Do not disconnect" or "Connected" or give other indication of a connection" Or does it only show the battery charging symbol? Or does it not react at all to being connected?

Mar 24, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks Kenichi. I have tried other cables to no avail. When I connect to the PC the iPod shows connected until iTunes opens. Then it shows disconnecting. I've also tried different USB ports on the PC. It does not appear to be charging either. Further, device manager shows an error (Windows is uninstalling this device. (Code 21)). Any other thoughts?

Thanks again.

MFD

Mar 24, 2016 9:06 AM in response to MichaelFDavis

It appears there is a good connection between iPod and computer, until iTunes opens. Here's my "theory." Some recent PCs have a "energy saver" feature that turns OFF full power to the USB port when the connected storage devices is not mounted by the system. An iPod is a storage device.

Try putting the iPod into Disk Mode

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

Run iTunes and connect iPod. If iTunes picks it up, it may prompt you to do a Restore, with a message about "recovery." If you're OK with erasing the iPod, do the Restore. After the Restore completes, the iPod is set to use the Manually manage music [and videos] setting by default, which also turns ON Enable disk use. With disk use enabled, iTunes keeps the iPod's "disk" mounted continuously which keeps the USB port at full power. Hopefully, that allows iTunes to recognize the iPod and allows the iPod's battery to charge.

You can turn OFF the Manually manage setting and set it to Sync Music (use automatic syncing) while keeping Enable disk use turned ON.

NOTE: With disk use enabled, you need to Eject the iPod in iTunes before physically disconnecting iPod.

If this does not help, please post back.

Mar 24, 2016 2:18 PM in response to MichaelFDavis

What was the original reason for needing to uninstall and reinstall iTunes? Was that because the iPod was not recognized, or something else that happened before the iPod was not recognized?

Sorry but that didn't work nor did a reset.

What specifically did not work? Putting the iPod into Disk Mode? Getting iTunes to recognize the iPod in Disk Mode? Doing a Restore? Connecting the iPod (in normal mode) after the Restore?

This started only after I followed directions to uninstall and reinstall iTunes.

You followed this procedure?

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

Mar 24, 2016 2:33 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

What was the original reason for needing to uninstall and reinstall iTunes? Was that because the iPod was not recognized, or something else that happened before the iPod was not recognized? Because the iPod was not recognized. I followed the instructions at If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support.

What specifically did not work? Putting the iPod into Disk Mode? Getting iTunes to recognize the iPod in Disk Mode? Doing a Restore? Connecting the iPod (in normal mode) after the Restore? iTunes never recognized the iPod in disk mode. I then tried to sync my iPhone. When plugged in I get a screen on the phone asking to allow access to which I replied yes. But still no connection is made. The software recognizes that an iPod is detected but not identified properly. Nothing at all happens when connecting the phone.

I misspoke about the origin of the problem. It actually started when I upgraded iTunes to version 12.3.3.17.

Thanks

MFD

Mar 24, 2016 8:09 PM in response to MichaelFDavis

The instructions you linked to describe good things to try. However, it's not the procedure to completely uninstall iTunes and related software components. If you have not already, you should go follow this procedure to uninstall the listed components of the iTunes installation, in the described order.

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

Then, download and reinstall the latest version of iTunes

https://www.apple.com/itunes/ (a new update was recently released)

Mar 25, 2016 7:15 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenichi,

Your assessment was spot on. Once I uninstalled iTunes and ALL the other components then reinstalled iTunes everything has restored. I was able to sync both my iPod Nano and iPhone 5. You have earned my gratitude and respect. The knowledge you posses is far beyond what I expected when reaching out to this forum.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

ipod nano driver for windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.