Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac wont boot past Apple Logo - wired keyboard isn't being recognized - what are my options?

Hey Everyone,

I have an older iMac that I was in the process of re-installing the OS on. At the point of it restarting and booting back up, it never made it past the white apple logo screen. I have tried unplugging it, forcing a restart by holding the power button down while turning off and as well as turning it back on, but it never makes it past the logo screen. It is connected to a wired apple keyboard that is not being recognized (no command options work & the green light on caps lock never turns on). I know my next step is most likely going to be to bring it to a genius bar, but I wanted to see if any of you have any idea's on what more I could be attempting before making the trip.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 10:48 AM

Your profile says you are using 10.6.4, so the instructions are predicated on that assumption. If you are using a newer version of OS X then these instructions may not work. In this case you need to let me know what version you do have installed. And, change your profile, accordingly.

Insert your Installer DVD to startup your computer by holding down the "C" key after hearing the chime. The computer will start up from the DVD and ask you to select a language then click on the Continue button. Wait until the screen menubar appears at the top of the screen. Select Disk Utility from the list of options in the Utilities menu. Use Disk Utility to Repair the Hard Drive and then to Repair Permissions. When that is completed quit Disk Utility. Reinstall OS X by simply preceding through the instructions on the screen. The installation may take up to 45 minutes or so but will not erase the drive. However, I suggest you backup the computer first just in case. Better safe than sorry.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2016 10:48 AM in response to Jewceb0x

Your profile says you are using 10.6.4, so the instructions are predicated on that assumption. If you are using a newer version of OS X then these instructions may not work. In this case you need to let me know what version you do have installed. And, change your profile, accordingly.

Insert your Installer DVD to startup your computer by holding down the "C" key after hearing the chime. The computer will start up from the DVD and ask you to select a language then click on the Continue button. Wait until the screen menubar appears at the top of the screen. Select Disk Utility from the list of options in the Utilities menu. Use Disk Utility to Repair the Hard Drive and then to Repair Permissions. When that is completed quit Disk Utility. Reinstall OS X by simply preceding through the instructions on the screen. The installation may take up to 45 minutes or so but will not erase the drive. However, I suggest you backup the computer first just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Mar 24, 2016 10:58 AM in response to theratter

Yep, 10.6.4 is the installer DVD I am using on this iMac (it's older - 2010 i think).

This issue began after attempting to use the installer DVD to reinstall the OS from.

With the keyboard not being currently recognized i'm a little apprehensive to put the disk back in the computer for fear of not being able to follow those instructions or eject the disk itself, is this fear sound or am I just over-worrying the whole issue now?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2016 11:39 AM in response to Jewceb0x

You did not mention you had a non-functioning keyboard. You need a working keyboard. If you are using a wireless keyboard, then try using a wired one until you get things sorted out. But a wireless keyboard should be recognized when you start up the computer unless there is some sort of hardware problem.

1. There are several ways to eject the disc. Easiest is to simply boot the computer and hold down the mouse button.
  2. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the left mouse button until the disc ejects.
  3. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.
  4. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.
  5. Press COMMAND-E.
  6. If none of the above work try this: Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste: /usr/bin/drutil eject - Press RETURN.
  7. If the last one fails then try this: Boot the computer into Single-user Mode. Enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

Mar 24, 2016 12:00 PM in response to theratter

When I say that keyboard is currently not "recognizable" I mean that the wired keyboard works perfectly fine on every other iMac that I have, but when plugging it into the non-functioning iMac, the iMac itself is not recognizing the keyboard as being there/plugged in and does not respond to command options or even pressing the caps lock button to see if the green light will come on.

I would like to get to a point of trying all of the above said options, but without getting the iMac to recognize a keyboard, is there a way to get to those options or a disk utility?

Mar 25, 2016 8:34 AM in response to Jewceb0x

Startup Issues - Resolve

Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

Startup Issues - Resolve (3)

If your wireless or USB keyboard doesn't work

Keyboard Doesn’t Work

Keyboard Keys Do Not Respond

Restart the computer holding down the command - option/alt - P - R keys before the gray screen appears. Continue to hold until you hear the startup chime for the second time.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

iMac wont boot past Apple Logo - wired keyboard isn't being recognized - what are my options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.