Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with CNN Go AppleTV 4G

Recently CNN Go app on my AppleTV 4G started crashing and going back to the menu. Today it started giving me the dreaded "An error occurred loading this content" message. I have done the following without success...

• Delete and Reinstall App and Re-Activate
  • Reboot AppleTV
  • Change DNS
  • Factory Restored AppleTV

All other apps on the device are working flawlessly. Ideas? Suggestions? Or is this just a case of wait for CNN developers to fix whatever is wrong with the app?

Thanks.

Apple TV, tvOS 9.2, 4th Generation 32GB

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 6:39 PM

I am having the same problem . I am able to get wa tch CNN internatIonal Live but not watch CNN live. Getting error message of " an error occurred loading this content " .

15 replies

Mar 28, 2016 7:43 AM in response to code-monkey

This is happening for me as well. I had the most unhelpful Apple Technical support response that basically told me that they thought it was CNN developers fault and that CNN has no way to report apple TV problems directly to them. Basically as a customer we're just stuck in the middle of a blame game. Apple TV's future relies on chord cutters having an experience that is as reliable as cable TV. Apple TV has so many glitches and bugs that apparently Apple has little interest in taking responsibility for. If this product is going to be successful it has to work. When a customer is experiencing trouble the customer doesn't care who's fault it is they want to hear that steps will be taken to find a resolution. Either contact CNN on our behalf or remove the app from the Apple Store.

Mar 28, 2016 1:48 PM in response to code-monkey

I Have an Apple TV 3 and CNN has been flaky for days. I will be watching for long stretches and then I'll get an error message.ninthink CNN has done something different with their commercials a few days ago because it crashes often when going to commercial. Of course with CNN, there is a commercial every five minutes, but I digress.

Bryan

Mar 28, 2016 9:19 PM in response to code-monkey

I've been having the same issue now for about a week. Tonight, my wife noted the same issue had also begun to affect playback on Netflix and Pandora. Playback of media in the aforementioned apps is stopping after an undetermined duration of playback. The app in use remains open (does not revert user to main AppleTV interface). Yet, there are no error messages.

Mar 29, 2016 3:40 PM in response to code-monkey

Just hopped off the phone with Apple Tech Support.

He feels in my case this may be a stream problem with CNN Go U.S. stream since the International feed seems to be working fine.

Something you may want to try ...

I switched the Wifi connection from 5Ghz (a/n/ac) 1300Mbps to 2.4Ghz (b/g/n) 450Mbps and for now the stream seems to be holding up.

Worth a shot.

Apr 6, 2016 12:49 PM in response to code-monkey

Has anybody found a solution? I mainly watch the International feed but it's the same problem as the US (dropping often.)

On another note, what is up with the same three commercials over and over? Before the dropping problem began happening, the International feed never had commercials and the US one was fully live; now they both have the same three commercials and drop all the time.

I've called Apple and they say it is a CNN problem. I have emailed CNN plenty of times to no reply... Can't they just fix both feeds and leave commercials as on TV? (That "CNN (Go/International) is on commercial break... " is also pointless.)

Excuse my rant but there does not seem to be any solution. I have been watching Sky News (which is fully live) and highly recommend it.

Apr 6, 2016 10:05 PM in response to code-monkey

I'm glad that slowing down your router worked for you. For me new hardware did the trick. I don't think you should have to switch from 5Ghz (a/n/ac) 1300Mbps to 2.4Ghz (b/g/n) 450Mbp. We bought a product that is supposed to work on 5Ghz. Needing to switch bands could also be interpreted as diagnostic evidence that something is wrong with hardware.

As for it being CNN's fault, there would be more than the few of us barking up this tree if it was a CNN app software issue. Furthermore, getting new hardware wouldn't have fixed my problem if it was CNN's fault.

As for it only occurring with certain streams/ APP's, that could also be representative of logic board or other internal component having trouble with processing certain files that are larger/more taxing on the system (hardware).

Perhaps we have different causes and different solutions, but from my experience, if these steps don't work, new hardware will.

• Delete and Reinstall App and Re-Activate
  • Reboot AppleTV
  • Change DNS
  • Factory Restored AppleTV

Apr 28, 2016 12:00 PM in response to code-monkey

i'm on a 3rd gen apple tv and up until recently i was able to watch CNN Live seamlessly. now, the live stream either freezes or i get "an error occurred loading this content" message. i've emailed CNN a few times and haven't received a reply and apple tech support says there must be something wrong with how CNN streams their live content. interestingly enough, the problem only started after an apple tv update. all of my other apps work fine.

Trouble with CNN Go AppleTV 4G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.