Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to free up RAM on a Mac?

Obviously I know you can buy more memory, but how do I free up without doing that? I have deleted programs and alot of other junk and it has not gone down? Any ideas why??? Thanks!!!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Mar 25, 2016 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2016 1:17 AM

There are a wide variety of causes of "slowness'. If the reason in your case is not enough RAM, then you need to add RAM. If it's because of other reasons, you have to address those.

5 replies

Mar 25, 2016 1:16 AM in response to Alex-Turner

unistall useless apps and clean junk files

Both these steps are admirable, yet irrelevant as far as RAM is concerned.

Next is to look at what applications are running, how much RAM they're using, and which applications need to be running.

Fortunately, Activity Monitor makes this easy for you - open /Application/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app and look at the Memory tab to see which applications are using the most memory. Decide if they need to be running.

It's also possible that the problem isn't memory, per se., but CPU (one rampant process can degrade performance across the entire system), so switch to the CPU tab in Activity Monitor and look for any abnormal usage - most apps should be using 0 - 1% of CPU.

Do any of these steps help?

How to free up RAM on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.