Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi connection randomly disconnecting after 10.11.4

Hi there,

This week i updated my system from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4. An issue that appears to have come about after this is my wifi/network connection seems to stall/stop working after a random period of time. The connection to the wifi is phyically working as the Wifi icon in the top menu bar stays lit up, and my other devices, laptop, iPhone, iPad are all online. It is just as if randomly my Mac Pro is suddenly blocked. Restarting the computer or turning the Wifi off and on again on the Mac pro fixes it, but this was never an issue before I upgraded to 10.11.4.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 2013 Mac Pro (the black round one)

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 11:11 PM

Go step by step by step and test.

1. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all the lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18760?locale=en_US

2. Empty Cache.

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

3. Deselect Proxies if selected.

System Preference > Network > Advanced > Proxies Tab

Unlock the lock if you have to.

Under "Select Protocol", uncheck any box if checkmarked.

Click "OK" then "Apply”.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2016 11:11 PM in response to ACPLE

Go step by step by step and test.

1. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all the lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18760?locale=en_US

2. Empty Cache.

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

3. Deselect Proxies if selected.

System Preference > Network > Advanced > Proxies Tab

Unlock the lock if you have to.

Under "Select Protocol", uncheck any box if checkmarked.

Click "OK" then "Apply”.

Mar 26, 2016 11:51 AM in response to ACPLE

This 100% is an apple issue, and one that I'm sick to the back teeth of trying to get resolved.

At the moment I have a very expensive paperweight that I cannot properly use because it will not stay connected to the network.

Installed BootCamp and Windows 10 - guess what - same hardware and no disconnects.

Apple - get your house in order, with WiFi and networking being such a major component these days, surely you can get it fixed - others seem to manage.

I'm thinking about phoning support and logging a case each time I get disconnected, that could be 50 calls plus a day, but I'm at my wits end with it all.

Mar 29, 2016 12:07 PM in response to ACPLE

I was having the exact same problem. I cannot explain why, but unchecking "Wake for Wi-Fi network access" in "Energy Saver", has improved the situation a lot. I still have trouble from time to time but certainly not as bad as before. At one point I checked "Wake for Wi-Fi network access" and problems came back pretty quickly. It is certainly not the fix, but perhaps can help to reduce the number of unwanted disconnections.

Mar 29, 2016 2:22 PM in response to Wraith_Commander

TTry reinstalling the wifi service. In System preferences, select network and then your wifi on the left hand side. Delete the service with the - sign at the bottom. Click Apply. Your wifi icon in the top menu bar will disappear Or turn iinto a X. Then click the + sin and follow the prompts to re add the wifi. This should reinstall the driver, I think.

wifi connection randomly disconnecting after 10.11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.