Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE - Which model is the "Global" phone?

Hi,

I am very interested in the iPhone SE, and planning to buy it at full price. I plan to use T-Mobile as carrier in the United States, and also use it when I travel to Japan and Hong and buy the sim card in those country, and pop into the phone to at least be able to use LTE data, so whether the phone CDMA or GSM does not concern me much as the voice call is not so important (I can get by it by using VOIP app like Skype). I do not want to use roaming when I am abroad.

According to the LTE support page, http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/, there are 2 models, A1662 and A1723.

After chatting online with Apple support, they told me choosing Sprint as wireless carrier will get me the A1723, and the other options - At&t, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sim Free will get me the A1662.

Since I want to use T-Mobile in the U.S., so my understanding is that only A1662 is supported. But, according to http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/, supported LTE networks in Japan are not listed for A1662.

My question is, is it really true that A1662 is not supported in Japan? When I look at LTE bands support of these two model, the only band that are lacking for A1662 are:

7 (2600 MHz)

28 (700 APT MHz)

38 (TD 2600)

39 (TD 1900)

40 (TD 2300)

41 (TD 2500)

Does missing these bands really make a big difference?

I currently have iPhone 5, A1429 and successfully used it in Japan with local SIM card and got the LTE speed, and the bands supported by the A1429 are ALL supported by A1662, so I really confused.

Thanks for reading my long question and hope someone can shed some light on this.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1

Posted on Mar 25, 2016 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 3:44 PM

I bought a SE MLMD2LL/A from the Apple store in Cali. Currently using it in Japan with NTT Docomo. Voice and data work just fine. Mobile service is expensive as h*** compared to the States. It was difficult to get it connected at first. No one in the NTT store thought that it would work. They put the chip in and did whatever on the phone. I recommend getting a US phone if you take a lot of photos. The "shutter" sound is real annoying and you cannot turn that off on a Japanese purchased phone.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2017 3:44 PM in response to uncle6

I bought a SE MLMD2LL/A from the Apple store in Cali. Currently using it in Japan with NTT Docomo. Voice and data work just fine. Mobile service is expensive as h*** compared to the States. It was difficult to get it connected at first. No one in the NTT store thought that it would work. They put the chip in and did whatever on the phone. I recommend getting a US phone if you take a lot of photos. The "shutter" sound is real annoying and you cannot turn that off on a Japanese purchased phone.

Apr 2, 2016 12:06 PM in response to uncle6

This article in PC magazine answers that question http://www.pcmag.com/news/343091/the-iphone-se-is-not-carrier-agnostic

Basically, it says that both models sold in the US will work globally, but if you buy the Verizon, ATT or TMobil version in the states, which are all the same phone, the A1662, it will have slower LTE speeds overseas (Canada and Russia are mentioned in the article), since it is missing LTE band 13.

The Sprint phone in the US is a different phone though, the model A1723, and that is the same model sold overseas (except China, which gets its own phone, the model A1724), but the Sprint phone won't work on Verizon (missing band 13), and it is also missing band 29, so while it will work on ATT, it won't go maximum speed for data, though it will work fine on Tmobil.

So the simple answer is that all the US phones will work overseas, but buying the Sprint phone in the US is the one to buy for high speed global data usage, and that phone will also work on Tmobil fine, and on ATT, though at slower data speeds, but it won't work on Verizon.

Apr 4, 2016 4:10 PM in response to uncle6

The article in PC magazine shown by Donald, http://www.pcmag.com/news/343091/the-iphone-se-is-not-carrier-agnostic is very helpful plus I did some research in Apple LTE supporting page as well, http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/.

This might shine some light on your problem uncle6, 4G LTE bands in the USA http://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-sheet-which-4G-LTE-bands-do-AT-T-Verizon-T- Mobile-and-Sprint-use-in-the-USA_id77933

Since you will be using T-mobile (2,4,12) LTE bands in the states and traveling around Asia with you new iPhone SE or other parts of the World, I would suggest you to get Model A1723 (GSM) which support T-Mobile in the states and I guess most parts of the world (with wider range LTE bands).

Since voice call does not concern you much, the option is up to you for Model A1723*(CDMA) or (GSM).

You can pay full price for the phone in Sprint or Apple Stores around, Hope this reply would be helpful to you or anyone searching for the same question and solution.

P.S. Thanks for asking this question, as I was searching for solutions as well to get an iPhone SE during Mother's Day.

Thank You Apple for making products that bring us closer to each other from all around the world.

Apr 4, 2016 5:18 PM in response to Donald_Grahame

Donald_Grahame wrote:

This article in PC magazine answers that question http://www.pcmag.com/news/343091/the-iphone-se-is-not-carrier-agnostic

Basically, it says that both models sold in the US will work globally, but if you buy the Verizon, ATT or TMobil version in the states, which are all the same phone, the A1662, it will have slower LTE speeds overseas (Canada and Russia are mentioned in the article), since it is missing LTE band 13.

The Sprint phone in the US is a different phone though, the model A1723, and that is the same model sold overseas (except China, which gets its own phone, the model A1724), but the Sprint phone won't work on Verizon (missing band 13), and it is also missing band 29, so while it will work on ATT, it won't go maximum speed for data, though it will work fine on Tmobil.

So the simple answer is that all the US phones will work overseas, but buying the Sprint phone in the US is the one to buy for high speed global data usage, and that phone will also work on Tmobil fine, and on ATT, though at slower data speeds, but it won't work on Verizon.

Both models of phones use LTE bands 2, 4 which Verizon also uses so, it doesn't make sense to me that the Sprint version wouldn't work on Verizon.

The problem with buying a Sprint phone is that Sprint is notorious for making customer jump through all sorts of hoops to get the phone unlocked.

Apr 4, 2016 5:49 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Well, I was just quoting the PC Magazine article Meg. I am wary about Sprint too, as years ago I had an account with them, and they were not so nice, but buying a pay as you go plan with Sprint should give you the option to swap if you want, in 50 days or less.

As to the Verizon support question, it seems band 13 is important to Verizon... Maybe the A1723 will work with Verizon, but all the research I did seems to indicate otherwise, and that support of band 13 is required too. I honestly don't know. It would be interesting to find a definitive answer. Here is an article about the bands required by Verizon, and it says that band 13 is required: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-sheet-which-4G-LTE-bands-do-AT-T-Verizon-T- Mobile-and-Sprint-use-in-the-USA_id77933

Apr 4, 2016 7:23 PM in response to uncle6

Thanks for all your inputs.

PC Mag article seems to suggest that Sprint A1723 is a better choice for international travel, despite that it will not work nice with Verizon.

I am curious that if the Sprint A1723 a dual mode CDMA and GSM? I am guessing it is a dual mode since it works with T Mobile as well.

And how much of a speed suffer will the A1622 has in overseas where this model will not be maxing at its full LTE speed? If it is a day and night difference then i really need to consider the Sprint A1723 even with hassle when switching out in the future.

Thanks again.

Apr 5, 2016 5:15 AM in response to uncle6

uncle6 wrote:

Thanks for all your inputs.

PC Mag article seems to suggest that Sprint A1723 is a better choice for international travel, despite that it will not work nice with Verizon.

I am curious that if the Sprint A1723 a dual mode CDMA and GSM? I am guessing it is a dual mode since it works with T Mobile as well.

All iPhones since the iPhone 5S have been dual mode.

May 3, 2016 4:54 PM in response to reunalla

Check this link: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/, scroll down to find iPhone SE.

This list shows model number, supported LTE bands and countries that support those LTE band. So if you ask if the A1662 works Hungary, you did not specify what "works" mean. If it is for LTE band, then A1723 does have Hungary on the list, not A1662. But if you mean GSM or CDMA, then both model will work.

Here is detailed spec from the Apple website. Both covers CMDA, UMTA, GSM. The only difference is the BAND it supports for LTE.

Model A1662*

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29)

CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Model A1723*

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28)

TD‑LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)

TD‑SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)

CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Hope it helps.

May 29, 2016 10:55 PM in response to Donald_Grahame

I'm in California on T-Mobil and in Sweden on Tele2. Apple Store told me that if I purchase the SIM-Free iPhone in the US I will get model A1662. This model lacks Band 7 (2600) which is the main LTE 4G Band in use in Sweden.

You're saying that if I purchase the Sprint iPhone in the US I will get model A1723. The Apple Store confirmed this to me on the phone. According to this Document A1723 includes Band 7 (2600). So it will work in Sweden on Tele2 but in the US it will be limited to Sprint.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se

You're saying the Sprint iPhone works fine with T-Mobile?

Another question, possibly related; Why is the A1723 listed twice as A1723 (GSM) and A1723 (CDMA)? If I'm going to use it in Sweden, globally and T-Mobile in the US, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need GSM, right?

iPhone SE - Which model is the "Global" phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.