Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Google Chrome tend to use more battery power on MacBook Pro?

I use Safari and Mozilla Firefox, but I wanted to see if Google Chrome is a good browser to use on the MacBook Pro. Does the Chrome browser use a lot more power compared to the other 2?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 25, 2016 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2016 10:41 PM

Yes, Chrome is notoriously inefficient. Recent versions have gotten better, but are still less efficient than Safari.

This is an old link, but you can Google for more up-to-date info about this issue.

Re: Google Chrome killing battery in MacBook Air?

7 replies

Mar 26, 2016 1:55 AM in response to TheSnapDude

TheSnapDude wrote:

I use Safari and Mozilla Firefox, but I wanted to see if Google Chrome is a good browser to use on the MacBook Pro. Does the Chrome browser use a lot more power compared to the other 2?

I have some things to say about some of the links posted here and in general about the "anti-Chrome" crowd in the Apple Communities…

First of all, benchmarks/statistics are for the most part useless. As Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damnable lies and statistics.". But, let's say the measurements were realistic. What difference does it make if one browser lasts 6 hrs and another 5 hrs? Well, if you only need to use it for 4 hrs, none. If you need it to last 7 hrs or more, none. You still have to plug in with all of them. And the one measurement no one can make is how enjoyable or easy is it to use? What would you prefer, using a browser you like or one you use just because you can plug in later?

Personally Firefox is my browser of choice simply because it has extensions I find useful. It has nothing to do with battery life or how fast it opens or what someone read somewhere about privacy. I certainly won't stop using it because it uses slightly more battery power.

I can say, I have Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera and Fluid installed and some of the developer versions. As far as Chrome, I have posted activity monitor screens and EtreCheck reports showing Chrome was using no more resources or "calling home" more than any other modern web browser. Those who for whatever reason dislike Chrome, choose to ignore it, or choose to believe otherwise.

Use what suits your needs.

This is the most I've ever typed in the forums. I hate typing. 🙂

p.s. I agree with Duane, battery usage running Chrome on my MacBook and MacBook Air compared to Safari or Firefox is negligible.

Does Google Chrome tend to use more battery power on MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.