Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying used Imac advice?

Just came back from the genius bar and the verdict is in: My trusty 2008 Imac's hard drive is failing. It still kind of works, but after using the machine for a while I keep getting the endless beach ball and everything just slows to a crawl.

So, I'm thinking about buying another one instead of spending money fixing the old machine. Unfortunately, I don't have much money to spend, so now I'm looking at Ebay auctions to see if I can find a good used Imac there. I'd like to upgrade and get a newer version, if possible, but ideally not spend much more than 300-400$. Perhaps more if it's really worth it.

I'd love to be able to get an Imac that will run El Capitan, and hopefully have the capacity to upgrade to newer operating versions as well, if they become available. My old one is running Snow Leopard, which Chrome will soon no longer support. It would also be good to be able to run the latest - or at least close to the latest - versions of software. I might consider getting Photoshop, for example, and Final Cut Pro X, which doesn't run at all on my old machine. I've been looking at some: IMac Mid 2011 21.5" MC309LL/A 2.50Ghz i5 500GB 4GB Ram most of which seem to go around 350-450$ and look pretty good.

Or could I also consider an older computer with an older, but faster, processor? Or the newer the processor, the better, no matter how fast? What about graphics cards, for something like Photoshop or FCPX, would a newer computer be much preferable to an older one? An older computer may be cheaper overall, so if it doesn't make much of a difference in performance, perhaps it would be a better choice. Or if I can get an old one that was a very expensive model when it first sold, perhaps it would be just as good as a cheaper, newer version.

Anyway, just looking for some input before I'll decide what to do. As my old computer is still running for now, I may have at least a bit of time to find a good model. Would also consider an even newer model than 2011, if it would make a big difference. And does anyone know a good, trusted seller on Ebay who might have a bunch of Imacs available?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4 GHZ Intel Core Duo 6GB RAM

Posted on Mar 25, 2016 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2016 10:21 PM

Well, I'd only buy a used computer from someone local and/or a business that offers some assurance. I wouldn't trust anyone from ebay with a computer; first, you have no idea what shape the machine or harddrive and other components would be in and they all appear to try to sell it with the latest OS which violates the licensing terms. A used Mac needs to be sold with the OS it originally came with which means the seller needs to wipe the drive and reinstall the original OS. That is the only way they can disassociate the machine with their Apple ID or you will not be able to reinstall or update the apps. So, ask them if they will sell it with the original OS - if that is Snow Leopard or earlier, they should give you the install disks. If it's Lion or later, there are no disks and they need to use internet recovery to get back to the original OS.

Also, remember that newer iMacs cannot be upgraded later (only the RAM on 27"), so you're stuck with whatever you got. So, ask lots of questions and be very careful. If you do get it locally, try to see if you can take it to the Genius Bar for an evaluation.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2016 10:21 PM in response to quiensera

Well, I'd only buy a used computer from someone local and/or a business that offers some assurance. I wouldn't trust anyone from ebay with a computer; first, you have no idea what shape the machine or harddrive and other components would be in and they all appear to try to sell it with the latest OS which violates the licensing terms. A used Mac needs to be sold with the OS it originally came with which means the seller needs to wipe the drive and reinstall the original OS. That is the only way they can disassociate the machine with their Apple ID or you will not be able to reinstall or update the apps. So, ask them if they will sell it with the original OS - if that is Snow Leopard or earlier, they should give you the install disks. If it's Lion or later, there are no disks and they need to use internet recovery to get back to the original OS.

Also, remember that newer iMacs cannot be upgraded later (only the RAM on 27"), so you're stuck with whatever you got. So, ask lots of questions and be very careful. If you do get it locally, try to see if you can take it to the Genius Bar for an evaluation.

Mar 25, 2016 10:21 PM in response to babowa

Okay, thanks for that info, I didn't know any of this. So, if I bought a used computer that now runs Yosemite, but was originally sold with Snow Leopard or Lion, I would not be able to upgrade it to El Capitan ever? Could I reinstall Snow Leopard with a bought disk (not the original ones that came with a computer, one I bought to upgrade my old computer from Leopard)? Or would the original seller have to do all of this? Or could I erase the HD, then install Snow Leopard or perhaps even Leopard first (I should still have the original disks for that one.) How about installing and upgrading non-Apple software, such as Microsoft Word? Would that be affected also?

That's very strange, not sure why they are doing this. Many people probably don't have the original disks anymore, but still want to sell their computer. Why are they making it so complicated? 😟 I'd love to buy locally, but not sure where there is a good store that sells these older computers (I'm in Los Angeles.) Most stores sell only newer models.

I bought a used 2006 (white) Imac that came with Snow Leopard on Ebay for my mom, and it worked great for her. I was able to update Snow Leopard to its newest version and install some other apps without a problem. There are a number of trusted stores on Ebay with at least 14 day return guarantee, so maybe it's still worth a try if I pay attention to what OS is installed.

Mar 25, 2016 11:23 PM in response to quiensera

The reason that these licensing things are in place now is because Apple started to only make OS versions available for download. In order to protect themselves against theft, they require an Apple ID and password to download the OS or apps. When you check the app store, it can tell which apps are on your computer or you've downloaded before and anything you download is tied to your Apple ID forever. The license is not transferable even if the download is free. So that is where the problems come from: anything you do at the app store requires an Apple ID and if the installed OS is still tied to the previous owner, you'll encounter problems. But, if they erase the drive and reinstall the original OS, there are no problems. If it's Lion or later, it's easy - you can just use Internet Recovery (built in to the OS) to boot from, erase the hard drive and reinstall the original OS from Apple's servers directly.

If the machine came with Snow Leopard or earlier, you can buy a retail disk at the Apple store - as long as any disk is a newer OS version than what the Mac came with, it should be fine. Also be aware that the only legal OS versions can be obtained from Apple directly - anyone selling you a bootable USB stick is selling an illegal copy.

And I agree, it's confusing and complicated, but it's not all that bad once you get used to it.

Mar 25, 2016 11:23 PM in response to babowa

Looks like the machines I was looking at had Snow Leopard as their original OS. There is one that says it has Yosemite installed now. So, I could get that one, turn it on using the Yosemite OS it comes with, then erase the disk and use my Snow Leopard CD I bought from the Apple store to install? Then from there upgrade back to Yosemite or El Capitan? Is there an "Erase and Install" feature for Snow Leopard (there used to be for Leopard or earlier, that might be the simplest thing to do)? Or would I have to erase the disk first, then pop in the CD and install? Will the CD work if I have erased the disk first? What if I bought a computer that originally came with Lion? Could I erase and install Snow Leopard on it, or could I only install Lion? Can I use the Internet Recovery feature for Lion if I don't have the Apple ID from the previous owner?

Sorry for lots of questions, but it's best to know everything in advance. 🙂 Thanks for your help!

Mar 26, 2016 8:42 AM in response to quiensera

You need to make sure that the machine can run the older system as Macs cannot boot from any OS older than what they came with. For that you need to know either the serial number or model identifier so you can look it up (unless the seller has a purchase receipt with the details) - why? Because some models came with, say, 10.6.3 and, a few months later, same model, but came with 10.6.8 - that one would not be able to boot from 10.6.3 (and that is what the retail install DVD at the Apple store has).

If the disk you have is your original install disk for your Mac, it would only work if the other Mac had exactly the same build number as those disks are machine specific. If you have the retail disk from the store, remember it is 10.6.3, so the machine would have had to come with 10.6.2 or earlier.

If you do go that route and the Mac can run SL, then you would need to insert the disk, hold down the C key which will let you boot from it. Once booted into that installer, stop right after the language selection and choose Disk Utility in the menu. Erase the hard drive from there; when finished, resume the install.

However, here is another warning (and I dealt with that on my mid 2010 iMac): if the Mac has had a firmware update to accommodate the recovery process which was introduced with Lion, then you may (or may not) be able to boot into that Snow Leopard disk and may or may not be able to erase from that disk. My attempts to use internet recovery on mine (with the firmware update) were unsuccessful three times out of 5 because that recovery is coded to reinstall the original OS - which, in this case, it can't because Snow leopard was never available for download. So, sometimes it did not work at all; the other two times it installed Lion.

There are so many variables with a machine from that era that it would be easier to find a machine that already had Lion as its original OS. That way, if the seller doesn't do what they are supposed to do, you should be able to use internet recovery by booting up while holding Command + Option + R for quite some time until you see a progress bar. Release the keys and wait until it has connected to Apple's servers - you will see a Utilities window. Choose Disk Utility and erase the entire drive. When finished, choose to reinstall OS X - that should get you to whatever OS was original. From there you can update to El Capitan.

And if you want El Capitan, 4 GB of RAM is the absolute minimum - 8 is better and if you do video/graphics work, 12 or 16 is good. New OS versions like lots of RAM.

And, installing any newer OS will automatically install a hidden recovery partition which you can access if you need to reinstall the OS (that took the place of the install DVDs).

Mar 27, 2016 5:21 PM in response to babowa

Wow, thanks, lots of great info! Most of the computers I've seen on Ebay have the model identifier of 12,1. Some say "Snow Leopard" as original OS, but now they usually run Yosemite or El Capitan. I guess anything that's Snow Leopard would be risky then, as my CD may not work and that OS is not on the Internet. I suppose the Yosemite that's installed on these computers would work as long as I don't upgrade or try to buy any apps. Would rather start fresh, though. There are some computers from 2008/2009 with Intel Core Duo processors. Most also run Yosemite now, but I'm worried that any newer operating system would run pretty slow on them, as those machines usually have 4GB RAM max. Maybe better to spend a bit more and get a newer machine that's more expandable.

Mar 27, 2016 7:07 PM in response to quiensera

If they have any upgraded OS downloaded from the app store installed, it will be tied to their Apple ID, so you cannot update apps, can't purchase any, and can't reinstall the OS. That is not an ideal way - besides, you'd be running a pirated, illegal OS because the license is not transferable. So, the best way would be to use internet recovery and erase the drive, then reinstall setting it up with your ID. Or buy one where the seller has already done it.

Mar 27, 2016 10:39 PM in response to quiensera

Not sure where you live, but if it is in the continental U.S.A, there are a few online reseller of Macs.

These online reseller are little more expensive for their Apple wares, but some online sellers offer great customer service and these resellers offer used Apple products with their own warranty plans for as long as up to one to two years on older, used Apple/Mac products.

The one online reseller I use pretty much all the time and highly reccommend is PowerMax.

They are both an online Authorised Apple product reseller and retail store reseller.

The company is a very reputable one that offers great service, Macs that are thoroughly inspected & quality rated and they offer their own extended warranties on used Apple products that is very good!

Also, if not from the U.S., I believe they do offer limited international shipping.

Check them out!

https://www.powermax.com/

As far as Macs go, I would advise getting any older iMac that is an early to mid 2009 model or newer as the 2009 models can take up to 8 GBs of RAM which is really needed for any OS X version higher than OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Late 2009 to 2011 iMacs can take from 16 to 32 GBs of RAM and have the most desired features, like both FW800 and Thunderbolt connections, a dedicated digtal audio in, as well as CD/DVD slot and 2010 to 2011 models come in quad core CPU models as well as better GPU options.

Good Luck!

Mar 28, 2016 6:24 PM in response to MichelPM

I'm in California. The store looks great, but most computers are at least twice as expensive (or more) than anything on Ebay. Unfortunately, I don't have too much money to spend. If I go with Ebay, I'm wondering if I might have trouble with any model that's between 2009 - mid 2011, because those probably run Snow Leopard originally, and I might not be able to install the original OS with my Snow Leopard CD (because of what babowa was saying.) Almost all models sold on Ebay have an upgraded OS, rather than the original one. It's also hard to find out what exactly the original OS was on each model, there are some sites that list specs, but they aren't really specific about the OS. Lion was released in July 2011, so I suppose most models listed as "mid-2011" would have come with it.

Well, at least my old computer is still working so far, so I have a bit of time to figure out what to do and perhaps look for a good deal or find an offer for a computer that has the original OS. Thanks for all of your help!

Mar 28, 2016 7:26 PM in response to quiensera

If I was you, I'd save a bit more and then get one somewhere other than ebay - because you'll know what you'd be getting. As I said, I wouldn't trust any seller there unless it is new in a mfr. sealed box.

I just checked the powermax site - there are several 24" models available (I used to have that machine - excellent) and all have 10.6.8 installed, which would be perfect. I'd immediately make a bootable clone of the system upon setup to have a factory fresh clone available for emergency purposes and then update to El Capitan.

Mar 28, 2016 8:43 PM in response to quiensera

There is a reason they are more expensive than eBay!

This company is a REAL authorised Apple reselling business.

They inspect evey machine they get for both consistent functionality and for cosmetic wear and they are THE only Apple reseller who offers up to a two year warranty for any internal or screen defects and can, also, offer free warranty replacement ON AN OLDER, USED Mac, no less.

Some Apple resellers have only 30-90 day waranties and other resellers offer only up to a 6 month warranty on a used Mac!

PowerMax really stands behind their used Apple products.

That is what you are paying extra money for a Mac for. Great, dependable, reliable and honest service.

You are not going to get any of that from an eBay Mac purchase.

There is a big chance that you'll be ripped off IF you really do not do your homework with an eBay purchase.

Usually with anything electronics or computer related, if the price is too good to be true...it usually means that there is some thing wrong with the device or computer.

Like stolen, the computer or device is locked. Something generally not running right on the device or computer, etc, etc.

With any potential eBay electronics/computer purchase, you REALLY NEED to ask the seller lots of questions.

How often was the Mac used? Was it used as a business or production work Mac? How many hours and days was it used?

Is the Mac a home Mac? Was it used casually or for work or business, too? How many hours/days did it get used?

Has the Mac ever been serviced?

You really need to banter back and forth by email with lots of questions to the seller. Ask if he/she has a return policy or return time if the Mac in question goes belly up. Ask if they offer any type of waranty/guarantee that the Mac they are selling is in the best shape possible .

If they offer less than a 30 day return/warranty, then you should pass on the Mac you're looking at.

Save up some more money an purchase a used Mac from some place more reputable that sells used Apple products on a regular basis as a regular business that can offer you some customer incentives on used Apple computers and products.

Good Luck!

Mar 28, 2016 9:54 PM in response to MichelPM

Looked through powermax some more. The problem with the 24-inch models is that their max RAM is usually 4GB (officially) and maybe El Capitan, or even Yosemite, might be slow on them and then there is no way to expand. They also come with only 2GB RAM, so I would have to buy new memory as well.

I just saw one auction at Ebay for a mid-2010 model with an i3 processor that runs El Capitan now, but is listed as having 10.6.3 as its original OS. Would my Snow Leopard CD work for that one (since it's also 10.6.3)? Or would the machine need to run something lower, like 10.6.2? What if I erase the disk, but it installs Lion instead of Leopard (as happened to babowa,) could I still go on to El Capitan from there, or would I be stuck with Lion from then on?

That machine would be from a trusted store I've bought from before (50$, including shipping, for a white 17-inch 2007 Imac, runs and looks great.) They offer 14 day returns. If I could get it around the price listed, it would be a good deal. Comparable machines are around 719$ on powermax.

Just weighing the pro and cons. I would definitely feel safer overall with a store like powermax, but if I had to spend over 800$ with everything included (shipping, new RAM,) I'm almost getting close to the price of a the cheapest new one. On the other hand, if I get a bad machine on Ebay, I'm out a few hundred bucks as well.

Mar 29, 2016 1:45 AM in response to quiensera

Alrighty!

Let"s talk about your eBay find.

That $50 white iMac is not really a true 2007 iMac as the real 2007 year models are all alumimum.

Those white iMac models are actually late 2006 models that the can only be upgraded to 3 GBs of RAM max. (4 GBs of RAM CAN be installed, but those model Macs will only recognise between 3.2 and 3.5 GBs of the total 4 Gbs of installed RAM) and the highest OS X those white iMac will run is OS X 10,7 LIon which will not run really well with only 3 GB max. of RAM.

3 GBs of RAM will be barely sufficient to run OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

This is probably why it's $50. Again, if it is too good to be true...

Plus, this is a 10 year old Mac!

Plus, OS X 10.7 Lion is a $20 dollar download code version to download and install it from the Mac App Store.

Look, a real Apple products reseller is NOT going to be able to compete with the pricing of Macs on eBay by individual sellers.

I think you already know that.

So, all I am going to say about this is you better know what you are buying, up front. and have a good knowledge of the Macs you are considering purchasing off of eBay.

You get what you pay for.

The 2010 model you are looking at on eBay is a tough one as those models shipped with either OS X 10.6.3 or later with OS X 10.6.4.

I am not sure how to determine which 2010 models shipped with which Snow Leopard versions.

If this 2010 iMac has a return policy, you could purchase and attempt to install your 10.6.3 disc and if it works, great!

If not, you CAN call Apple at 1-800-MYAPPLE ask software/OS X software sales and if you give them the specs of that iMac model along with the iMac's serial number, for $20, they will ship you a custom OS X installer disc that is the right OS X installer version for that model iMac.

Ask how long a return policy they have on that 2010 iMac.

It will take Apple 5-7 days to get that proper OS X installer disc to you, if it is needed.

As far as your Snow Leopard disc goes, if this is a gray colored disc, then this disc is a Mac-machine specific disc that probably won't work with any Mac.

You need to purchase the OEM retail boxed white colored disc with a picture of a snow leopard on it.

Is your Snow Leopard install disc fit that description?

If not, then you"ll need to purchase the retail boxed disc for $20 from Apple's online website store.

That retail disc will have OS X 10.6.3 on it, too!

I stand by my original previous advice to you.

Best of Luck!

Mar 29, 2016 4:28 AM in response to MichelPM

The white one may have actually been a 2006 come to think of it. I bought it a few months ago for my mother, who only needs it for writing (Word) and some very light internet surfing, so it was perfect for her. Had 1GB RAM and I upgraded to 2GB. It came with Snow Leopard. I also had to buy an Apple mouse, but got a good deal for both at OWC. So, all in all, I spent about 75$. Not bad. The white ones are cheaper, because they generally can't be upgraded much.

My Snow Leopard CD is a retail CD (white, with Leopard,) so that one should work if it's 10.6.3. Thanks a lot for the tip with the phone number, I thought there had to be something like that, since there will be others with the same problem, and not everyone keeps their 6 year old restore CDs. 20 bucks wouldn't be too bad if I needed to get that.

Buying used Imac advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.