Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX el capitan forgot password

I forgot password of my Macbook pro running on El Capitan. I have tried booting into recovering mode "command+R" as well as booting disk selection (pressed "options" when turning ON) but no luck. It always takes me to a screen where I need to enter password.

Can anyone please suggest a solution to me ? I'll be very very grateful.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Mar 25, 2016 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 12:01 AM

It displays following screen into Recovery Mode User uploaded file

13 replies

Mar 25, 2016 11:36 PM in response to NMJJ

You were right to boot in Recovery Partition. Do this again (command + R and hold until you see startup screen). Then Go to Utilities > Terminal and type command “resetpassword” followed by the return key. A reset password screen will appear. Select the volume hard drive and user account that needs a reset password. Enter the new password twice and a hint and press Save. OS X will show a confirmation screen and details about the keychain account.

The original Keychain will still have the password forgot. You will have to remember the old password to open Keychain or, more realistically, have to create new Keychain.

OSX el capitan forgot password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.