Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating website

Hello everyone!

I want to TRY driving website. I have MacBook with iWeb and I know it's no longer supported. I don't know if I should try doing it in iWeb as I don't know if I even know how to take care of site, or download some other programme? For my half-2010 darling (with Yosemite), every programe more means longer work but if it may be easier (to export for example) I'm ready to install. I wrote "TRY" because I'm newbie and I'm interested only in free solutions so Eveweb or so is not for me. I know it's possible to work with wordpress on mac but I found only pay host sites which allows that. I love apple way of making easy apps like iWeb but i don't want having problems with page update.

I read forum and found only old topics, pay apps etc.

MacBook

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 12:00 PM

9 replies

Apr 17, 2016 3:23 AM in response to Ethmoid

Eventually I decided to try couple ways of making sites. I've been playing with iWeb before, so I want to try this one too. I have couple projects at school and every one I will make different way. I already did small things with wordpress.com and weebly and it was pretty ok, but I feel like I have more power with iWeb. It's just working better for me, has more options plus working on it is just a dream 🙂

And as with weebly you simply use their hosting, iWeb doesn't (any more). So I have a problem. I read tons of posts and I'm still not sure if it's still possible to "host" iWeb site via dropbox? Time ago there was a Public folder and I found great tutorials showing how to upload site but there is no more Public folder (only for some Pro and Buisness accounts). Can I share site without this?

I know that there is also tk domain but it works only for 12 months, I know it's a lot for a free site but maybe there is another option/site to publish site for free and longer time? English is not my first language so I would very appreciate if there would be tutorials and I hope my way of writing is not very confusing.

Mar 26, 2016 11:21 PM in response to Angela4b

Unfortunately, if you are serious about this, then you will have to pay for something along the line because it is not possible to create a website without paying for something.

If you want a new website creation programme such as EverWeb, then you will have to pay - there is nothing free there unless you count iWeb which came with your Mac.

There is free hosting yes, but if you want to use WordPress.org to build your site, then you cannot use free hosting for this, you need to pay for hosting.

Your only other alternative to build your site for free is to use WordPress.com. WordPress.com is free and you can create your site, but the only disadvantage here is that the site will be published on the WordPress servers, so you will have your username.wordpress.com. This is done online and you just create it by accessing the internet - no need for any files on your Mac and you don't need to upload any files - just connect to the internet and log into your site and away you go.

There are other online site builders that are free too -Wix.com is another and alsoWeebly.com and there are others, but again, your site will be published to their servers, so you have your username.ix.com etc., but if you don't mind that rather than having your own domain name, then that is okay.

Other than that, you will either have to pay for a new application for website creation or pay for hosting, so not free unless you use the online site builders.

My recommendation is that you don't use iWeb though - there is no point in starting a project with an application that is unsupported.

Mar 28, 2016 3:50 AM in response to Ethmoid

Thank You so much! 🙂

I didn't know about wordpress.com and that wordpress.org requires paid hosting. So probably I will try with some online site buliders as I don't know what I want to do and I'm getting bored very fast...

My next question is- if I use domain for example wordpress.org or other with hosting I pay, do they help me to promote this site in some way? Or it's only about having a domain without their name? I don't think I will pay but it's good to know. If nobody will visit my site then discouragement will be fast.

Mar 28, 2016 5:41 AM in response to Angela4b

No. WordPress.org and WordPress.com work in totally different ways. With WordPress.com the site is published on the WordPress servers, so you have your username.wordpress.com. You just choose your template and there are limited options for customisation and that is it really. You can pay to add a domain name if you wish, but if you want to do that, then you may as well use WordPress.org.

WordPress.org is what is known as a Content Management System or CMS, this is like Drupal and Joomla. They are open source platforms and are completely free to download and install. If you want to try out WordPress.org you can do this locally on your computer totally free and you don't need to register a domain name or hosting to be able to do this.

CMS's work by using either Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal and a database, where all your website content is stored. To use is locally on your computer, for a PC you need to download WAMP or id you use a Mac, then MAMP - stick with the free MAMP and not MAMP Pro. All you then do is set this up on your computer and then download the latest version of WordPress.org and then place this folder in the htdocs folder under MAMP. You then need to create your database and then connect the two when it comes to installation.

The good thing about WordPress.org is that because you install it on paid hosting, there is more functionality and you can extend and add things, by adding what are known as Plugins - these just extend the functionality of WordPress. The same things are known as Extensions in Joomla and Modules in Drupal.

It is not Wordpress's responsibility to promote your site for you - that is up to you, so no, if you use paid hosting once you have registered your domain name and then the one click install for WordPress that a lot of hosts offer, the rest is up to you.

The way to get your site up there in the rankings is to use interesting content - not just content, but photos and videos too and then SEO, so you optimise your site so that it gets found. Wordpress.org has SEO plugins that you can download and install. Also, register your site with search engines such as Google.

Apr 19, 2016 1:09 AM in response to Angela4b

Do a search for free web hosts - they do exist and are limited as to what you can do with them, but you should be able to upload your site. Just be aware that you may get adverts on your site - that is how they make it pay.

I don't know about anything else - do you even have a domain name? If not, to make use of hosting you really need a domain name, which is why I am saying that you really will need to pay for something along the line.

If you want something really free then you can only use wordpress.com, six.com and weekly.com and there is squarespace.com too. As they allow you to use their servers then these are completely free.

Unfortunately, you are NOT going to be able to use iWeb for free, because if you want to host it, then you'll need to purchase a domain name and you can't get that for free, unless you decide to host your site yourself on your own computer.

If you want a free site, then don't use iWeb and that way you won't need a domain name - just a username that then ends with .wordpress.com or .wix.com or whatever you want to use.

Apr 22, 2016 6:11 AM in response to Ethmoid

Thanks again 🙂

I already have published iWeb site at some free hosting site but I really hoped that dropbox solution still works because at free hosting sites I am able to host just 3 sites. I have some projects at school and I didn't wanted to open couple of accounts just to do them.

For all who really loved iWeb way of creating sites I must say that it is way easier just to use some of free online web makers which Ethmoid recommends. I didn't expect to say that but it takes less time and is the same convenient as iWeb plus most of those sites gives you free hosting (with their name but it's free whats mean good enough). For me best is wix.com so really check it before looking complicated solutions with our beloved but already vintage iWeb and don't make Ethmoid to write the same thing over and over again

Really appreciate your help!

Jun 9, 2016 4:37 PM in response to Angela4b

I have a similar question - I created a website using iWeb and was very pleased even though I knew it would not be supported. I launched it with GoDaddy and have been pleased with them. I now need to update the material on the site. I know I cannot update through iWeb so my current question is "are there any comparable programs (i.e. with the incredible choices of format, etc. and as easy to use)?" I am willing to pay. And my related question is whether I would be able to use the original material in a kind of cut & paste so I don't need to start from scratch.

Jun 9, 2016 4:38 PM in response to Ethmoid

I have a similar question - I created a website using iWeb and was very pleased even though I knew it would not be supported. I launched it with GoDaddy and have been pleased with them. I now need to update the material on the site. I know I cannot update through iWeb so my current question is "are there any comparable programs (i.e. with the incredible choices of format, etc. and as easy to use)?" I am willing to pay. And my related question is whether I would be able to use the original material in a kind of cut & paste so I don't need to start from scratch.

Jun 10, 2016 5:29 AM in response to LizVan26

There are several alternatives that you can use and probably the best one and the most like iWeb would be EverWeb. Take a look here at EverWeb. Other alternatives are Freeway Pro or Flux 5. Flux 5 is a little more complex though and has a learning curve, whereas Freeway Pro and EverWeb are a lot easier to use and EverWeb is really the iWeb replacement, that has everything built in that everyone wished iWeb had.

As for altering your website, you will need to cut and past and re-built it in whichever app you choose to purchase. Freeway and EverWeb do not have import facilities and neither did iWeb. The only one of these that does have import facilities is Flux, but this is harder to use and you would not really want to with an iWeb site.

Better to purchase EverWeb and then you can re-build your site from scratch, but you can cut and paste.

You can cut and paste from the site itself or from iWeb.

Creating website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.