Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound in right channel of eMac G4/1.42 Ghz

The sound has gone out in the right channel of my eMac G4/1.42 Ghz model. Is this easy to fix? What would the likely culprits be? Could this be a short in the speaker itself or is a sound board indicated?

Also, I run some virtual synths on this computer using a firewire (MOTU 828) interface. Would the sound still be there taking it out through the firewire port? Is this a good way to test it for the specific problem?

I would also appreciate a link to a Service Manual for this model if it exists.

Many thanks for your help!

Tom

iMac G3, eMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2016 12:16 PM

Here is a web resource:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=60

Any more, I'm leary of sites saying they can provide free manuals because too many are based in a part of the world renown for web sites not being what they seem.

As for a tone source I would use the Sounds System preference because it is a system-based tone source and you can play with left/right balance. That eliminates a cable, input plug, or jack as a contributor to the problem.

eMacs are not easy to take down due to the proximity of high-voltage video components. With the A1002 there is also a strong risk of destroying the power switch during reassembly if not done with extreme care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2016 12:16 PM in response to Parsongs

Here is a web resource:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=60

Any more, I'm leary of sites saying they can provide free manuals because too many are based in a part of the world renown for web sites not being what they seem.

As for a tone source I would use the Sounds System preference because it is a system-based tone source and you can play with left/right balance. That eliminates a cable, input plug, or jack as a contributor to the problem.

eMacs are not easy to take down due to the proximity of high-voltage video components. With the A1002 there is also a strong risk of destroying the power switch during reassembly if not done with extreme care.

Mar 27, 2016 2:25 PM in response to Parsongs

I thought I had a manual for the A1002 but only had it for the first-gen eMacs. As nearly as I can tell from the exploded drawings, the eMac does not have a separate audio board (most Macs don't).

Have you tired a channel test with external speaker attached to teh headphone port?

The manuals on this site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html#imcs

have been safe as far as "extraware" goes but it has not been updated since 2003 and many links are now dead.

No sound in right channel of eMac G4/1.42 Ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.