Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iBooks using 10 GB of storage in iOS 9.2.1 with no books in the app??

MY iPad shows that iBooks is using almost 10 GB of storage even though there are no books, and it is an app I do not even use. Since I cannot delete the app, how do I resolve this problem?

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2016 7:33 PM

What have you tried so far ? Have you :

- tried closing the app via the iPad's taskbar

- done a soft-reset/reboot of the iPad

- tried selecting and syncing a small book or PDF from your computer's iTunes to the app to see if that frees up the space

3 replies

May 1, 2016 6:50 AM in response to Hattie66

I Have a 1st gen iPad mini with the same issue. i deleted all the books I downloaded and they are all showing as being stored in the iCloud but the storage taken up by iBooks is 2.7gb out of a total of 16gb. I have asked Apple what to do as this has only happened since IOS9 which made iBooks a default app. They tell me I would have to re-set to factory settings. do you think the actions you took on you iPad will work on the mini?

i can't see any task bar other than the one running along the bottom of the screen which contains the mail, Safari, videos and music icons so cannot close the app from there

Why is iBooks using 10 GB of storage in iOS 9.2.1 with no books in the app??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.