Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable automatic opening of iMessage on my MacBook Pro when I open my iPhone messages

Hi there,

I have just updated to OSX El Capitan and every time I receive an iMessage on my iPhone, or simply just open the Message app on my iPhone, the Message program on my MacBook Pro opens. I want to disable this from happening on my MacBook Pro. I have read countless posts but no solution fits my problem.

Steps I have taken include:

1. Open Messages on MacBook > Messages > Preferences > Accounts > Deactivated and signed out of my gmail account in here. Nothing else is active either.

2. Disabled Notifications on my MacBook Pro

3. Disabled message forwarding on my iPhone and removed my Gmail address from this too

But, it is still opening on my MacBook Pro.

Advice very welcome. Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2016 11:20 AM

For me the iMessages icon appeared in the cmd+tab menu each time I received a message (with the text "from iPhone"), despite my attempt to disable everything under the sun. This is what finally fixed it for me:

System Preferences > General > Uncheck the Allow Handoff setting!

Things that mysteriously don't work:

* Removing every account from iMessages on your mac

* Turning off all notifications of iMessages on your mac

* chmod'ing the iMessages binary to 000

* Unloading the apsd service from launchctl

* Manually blocking port 5223

Yes, this has been driving me insane.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2016 11:20 AM in response to melinalw

For me the iMessages icon appeared in the cmd+tab menu each time I received a message (with the text "from iPhone"), despite my attempt to disable everything under the sun. This is what finally fixed it for me:

System Preferences > General > Uncheck the Allow Handoff setting!

Things that mysteriously don't work:

* Removing every account from iMessages on your mac

* Turning off all notifications of iMessages on your mac

* chmod'ing the iMessages binary to 000

* Unloading the apsd service from launchctl

* Manually blocking port 5223

Yes, this has been driving me insane.

Mar 28, 2016 8:53 AM in response to melinalw

Hello melinalw,

I understand that Messages is opening on your MacBook Pro when you receive a message on your iPhone, despite attempts to prevent this behavior. This may be due to having Text Message Forwarding set up on your iPhone. This can be checked in Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Add a check to both your phone number and email address. Then go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding and enable the device or devices that you want to forward messages to.

Use Continuity to connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

All my best.

How to disable automatic opening of iMessage on my MacBook Pro when I open my iPhone messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.