Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't disable Gracenote lookups in iTunes 7.0.2

At work I use iTunes on a Win XP box (at home I'm a Mac person, so please assume I'm a Windows idiot 😉. This XP box has to go through a proxy for web access, and most ports are blocked and as a consequence iTunes can't connect to the Gracenote CDDB server. I want iTunes to stop trying -- in fact, I want iTunes to not initiate any network access. However unticking the "Preferences->Advanced->Importing->Get track names from internet" box has no effect -- iTunes still wants to connect to Gracenote whenever I insert a cd. My only choice is to click "Cancel", but then the cd does not show up in the iTunes window.

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling iTunes/Quicktime, but no joy. I've also tried closing iTunes, deleting the iTunes preference file, and relaunching iTunes (which seemed to only removed some preferences), then unticking the aforementioned box. Is there any way to force iTunes to not try to connect to Gracenote?

G4 400 MHz AGP (Sawtooth), Mac OS X (10.4.8), 768 MiB

Posted on Nov 28, 2006 3:20 PM

7 replies

Nov 29, 2006 8:55 AM in response to varjak paw

... this morning i seem to have been running around in circles barking at the moon ... thank you kindly for the cleanup, Dave.

okay, the locations of the two sets of preference files (on a Windows box) are given in the "User-specific Troubleshooting" section of the following document:

iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting unexpected quits, freezes, or launch failures

Nov 30, 2006 4:32 AM in response to b noir

Yes -- sorry if I didn't make that clear enough. I'm asking about iTunes on Windows XP.

I deleted both preference files specified in that link, then restarted iTunes. Still no joy -- when I insert a CD, iTunes insists on trying to contact Gracenote. Oddly enough, even though a absolutely, positively deleted BOTH pref files, there were still some of my preferences set (I had disabled podcasts & some other things I don't intent to use at work via "Parental Controls" and even after deleting the prefs, the Parental Control settings were intact. I guess that makes sense though. Wouldn't want the kiddies circumventing restrictions just by deleting a specific file...)

I'd love to create a second user account and see if iTunes behaves the same, but I do not have the privileges to do so on this box. Any other suggestions?

Cheers!!!

Can't disable Gracenote lookups in iTunes 7.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.