Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G4 WiFi modes

I have an old 700 MHz flat panel G4 that I've recently resurrected. It has an Airport card, but I cannot get it to connect to my network. I have an Airport Extreme base station. I realize the computer won't support any modern encryption standards, so I tried using the guest network and turning off all encryption and it still won't connect. Is it potentially an issue with the radio modes? Any ideas are most appreciated.User uploaded file

Airport Extreme Base Station-OTHER

Posted on Mar 27, 2016 4:15 PM

27 replies

Feb 20, 2017 2:01 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

I did look over the specs and guides and they seem like they would work, but I will only know if/when I get one and give it a try. You asked me if I tried the connect after the upgrade, and the answer is yes. This all began when I first tried with the OS X 10.3, and I was getting the error message "incorrect password". So when I found this support community, I assumed from the responses on here, that I needed the upgrade.

I have taken some photos of my router and also of some screen shots on my computer. I am not sure how many photos I am allowed to post, so this may take a few posts.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Feb 20, 2017 10:38 AM in response to Ifnot4u

Hi,

Yes, an AirPort Express can also be used as a wireless Ethernet bridge (to join a wireless network). Which model/generation to choose really depends on whether you need (now or in the future) the specifications/functions of a certain AirPort Express.

If you are interested in using an AirPort Express, I would recommend that you post a new question in the AirPort area, where you will get expert help regarding system requirements and setup. In the meantime, you may want to take a closer look at the technical specifications and manuals:

AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation) - Technical Specifications

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation) - Technical Specifications

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA431/en_US/AirPort_Express_Setup_Guide .pdf

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1613/en_US/airport_express_80211n_ 2nd_gen_setup_guide.pdf

By the way, you mentioned earlier that your iMac G4 had the original AirPort installed and that the computer had been upgraded to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Did you try to connect to your wireless router using the built-in AirPort card after the system upgrade?

Jan

Feb 21, 2017 5:22 AM in response to Ifnot4u

AirPort Card: When You Can Join a WPA Network - Apple Support

One of your pictures shows that the wireless card firmware version is 9.52. We have seen reports on these boards before about both successful and not so successful WPA connection attempts (also with 9.52 AirPort card firmware, and with the 10.4.11 update). As I see it, it appears as if a connection is possible when the router is of an older 802.11g model (such as the original AirPort Extreme base station), or when a more modern router has been set to the b only or b/g wireless mode. Other wireless mode settings may or may not be acceptable as well (depending on the router make/model), but the above is at least an indication that this is of importance (in addition to the wireless security protocol choice). Different AirPort card firmware versions may provide different results.

If a lower/restricted wireless mode router setting (b only or b/g) is the only way of using an AirPort card and WPA with the iMac G4, other connected devices would be affected. In a case like that, an external solution for the iMac G4 (such as a wireless Ethernet bridge) is far better, allowing the best possible speed and highest security for all units concerned.

Feb 21, 2017 1:54 PM in response to Ifnot4u

Susan,

It is really not that difficult, so do not give up. Even if the internal AirPort card, for some reason, will not let you connect using WPA security, you have the following options:

1. A third-party wireless Ethernet bridge connected to the Ethernet port of the iMac G4. Example devices include Netgear WNCE2001 (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNCE2001.aspx) and Linksys WET610N (http://www.linksys.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000003K7iRAAS). Third-party wireless Ethernet bridge devices do not normally require special software. Typically, a standard web browser is used for the setup. Almost any Ethernet-capable computer and almost any operating system version would be OK. For instance, a Netgear WNCE2001 could be used to wirelessly connect even a 1994 PowerBook 500-series computer (running something like System 7.5.3) to a modern Wi-Fi router.

2. A Wi-Fi range extender with wireless Ethernet capabilities (with an Ethernet port) connected to the Ethernet port of the iMac G4. For example, TP-Link RE200 (http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5508_RE200.html). As for the the plain wireless Ethernet bridge devices, no special software is normally required. Setup typically via a standard web browser.

3. An Apple AirPort Express (AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation) - Technical Specifications or AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation) - Technical Specifications). Special software is used for the setup. System requirements apply, at least in certain situations (but note that the setup for an AirPort Express can be carried out using another device). I strongly recommend posting a question in the AirPort area for details.

4. A USB wireless adapter connected to a USB port in the iMac G4. It is necessary to ensure that there is driver software for Mac OS X 10.4 (for example, only a few devices at https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/wireless/ have 10.4 support). The USB 1.1 ports of an iMac G4 can typically be used, but will limit the speed of a modern USB wireless adapter.

5. A pair of powerline network adapters (several models exist from companies like D-Link, Netgear and TP-Link). One adapter near the iMac G4 (Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port of the computer) and another adapter near the router (Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports).

Jan 25, 2017 8:10 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I too am searching for a solution for WiFi on my iMac G4 800 MHz. I have installed OS X 10.3. I've been on the phone with ATT internet and have failed to come up with a solution. Some of what you have said, Jan Hedlund, is a bit foreign to me but I think I could figure it out. If you, DaytonJer, get up and running, please post it here how you resolved it.

My router is on the second floor, and my iMac G4 is in the kitchen on the first floor, so I have no way of connecting with an ethernet cable.

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Feb 16, 2017 2:34 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I have now upgraded my iMac G4 with OS X 10.4 Tiger. So to be clear, before spending another $40 or $50 on an ethernet bridge, please assist me in buying the correct one. I have looked at dozens of "ethernet bridges', "gaming and media adapters", "wifi bridges", and "range extenders". For a novice this can get very frustrating, along with all the specs. I want to do this one time, and the cost is not all that important, but I wish not have any more difficulties getting this done.

As I have mentioned earlier, my iMac G4 is the 2002 800 MHz model: M6498 serial: QT211052MDL 15" monitor with the original Airport installed. I also have an iMac (21.5", Late 2013) 2.7 GHz Intel core i5 processor, 1600 MHz DDR3 running OS X Yosemite. My iMac G4 is practically brand new and has been restored to it's original factory settings with an upgraded 1g ram.

My router is on the second floor, while my G4 is on the first in the kitchen, so I will need something to get it connected. I trust that you will be able to help, and I am here to answer any additional questions without hesitation.

Sincerely Susan

Feb 16, 2017 5:13 PM in response to Ifnot4u

Susan,

Some experiments are usually needed in order to find a good solution. We do not know the exact distances and/or wall materials etc. All this can affect performance and placement. However, it should not be too difficult.

For example, look at the Quick Installation Guide for the TP-Link RE200 (http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/RE200%28US%29_V1_QIG.pdf). The setup would correspond to the Entertainment Adapter section in fine. Before using an Ethernet device (the iMac G4 in this case) for Internet access, it is necessary to connect the extender to the router and carry out a configuration (another computer can be used for this).

As a comparison, you may want to have a look at the Installation Guide for the Netgear WNCE 2001 (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNCE2001/WNCE2001_IG_28JULY2010.pdf?c id=wmt_netgear_organic). The procedure is a bit different, but the idea is the same.

Feb 16, 2017 7:20 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

It seems that the TP-Link RE200 will be the easier of the two, while the NetGear WNCE 2001 is a bit confusing for me. So, are you saying that before I follow the set-up procedure in the "Entertainment Adapter section", I will need to perform a "configuration" by connecting the TP-Link RE200 to my router? How exactly do I connect the TP-Link RE200 to my router, via the ethernet cable? And does the configuration begin on it's own, or will I be prompted to do so somehow? Additionally, will I have encryption issues, not that I even know what that is?

On another note, I have heard a lot about "sharing". Can I share the wifi with my 2013 iMac, witch is also on the second floor of our home along with my router? And if so, is it a simpler procedure?

Thank you again for all your troubles, you have been more than kind.

Susan

Feb 17, 2017 4:07 AM in response to Ifnot4u

Hello again,

I have a number of wireless Ethernet bridge devices from different manufacturers. I do not own a TP-Link RE200, though. The RE200 is a Wi-Fi range extender with Ethernet capabilities, and can act as a bridge/adapter. An RE200 (used as an "Entertainment Adapter) would probably be a good choice for your iMac G4.

The Quick Installation Guide for the RE200 appears to be based upon the assumption that the configuration is done wirelessly, either from another already Wi-Fi capable computer (Method ONE) or via WPS (Method TWO). When this has been done, the RE200 can be moved to the final position (near the iMac G4), to be connected to the computer via a short Ethernet cable.

If I read the User Guide (http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/RE200%28US%29_V1_UG.pdf) correctly, it should alternatively be possible to use the web-based configuration via Ethernet.

The method you should use depends on the router make/model (and possibly availability of other wireless devices).

Encryption should not be a problem, since a device like the RE200 would handle the most modern security protocols.

Good luck!

Feb 17, 2017 11:23 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi again Jan,

I do appreciate your patience with me. If your suggestion is to install this particular unit I will purchase it today and hopefully get it working this coming week. However, if you have reservations about this unit and suggest I try another unit you feel would work better in my situation, please let me know.

As I mentioned earlier, is the "sharing" something that may work better for me or not? Please understand that I am a much older women and have not had the experience that most people today have, in understanding these things. I grew up in a time before computers and have had limited exposure to technical issues concerning them, but am a smart enough old women to eventually work things out.

Again, thank you for all your efforts.

Feb 17, 2017 1:01 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi again Jan,

I do appreciate your patience with me. If your suggestion is to install this particular unit I will purchase it today and hopefully get it working this coming week. However, if you have reservations about this unit and suggest I try another unit you feel would work better in my situation, please let me know.

As I mentioned earlier, is the "sharing" something that may work better for me or not? Please understand that I am a much older women and have not had the experience that most people today have, in understanding these things. I grew up in a time before computers and have had limited exposure to technical issues concerning them, but am a smart enough old women to eventually work things out.

Again, thank you for all your efforts.

Feb 17, 2017 3:35 PM in response to Ifnot4u

Susan,

Based upon what I can read about the RE200, it appears to be suitable for the purpose of connecting an iMac G4 to a wireless network (that is, to use the RE200 as an "Entertainment Adapter"). The actual signal strength at the iMac G4 site is something that has to be tested. The signal strength will be affected by things like distance, building materials, interference, etc.

In principle, you could use more or less any modern wireless Ethernet bridge device (entertainment/media/gaming adapter, etc). The idea is to "convert" the Ethernet port of, for example, a computer, TV or game console to wireless (Wi-Fi), and thus access the Internet without additional cabling.

By "sharing" I assume that you mean the Internet Sharing that certain computers and operating systems can offer. A second computer would then use the Internet provided by a first computer. However, since you have a (wireless) router already, this would not be necessary. Your 2013 iMac could connect directly to the router (wirelessly, or possibly via Ethernet). When the iMac G4 is ready to be used with an Ethernet bridge, it could connect wirelessly to the router, too.

Feb 20, 2017 5:23 PM in response to Ifnot4u

Susan,

Yes, at least according to the aforementioned AirPort card requirements for WPA, Mac OS X 10.4 ought to be sufficient. I do not know whether it makes a difference, but has the system been updated to Mac OS X 10.4.11?

An NVG589 router should have a web-based administration interface. The Internet service provider could probably tell you more about this. You may that way find information about the existing wireless status, including security and mode (if so, do not post information/pictures here that could reveal your network password, etc). The wireless security protocol setting is probably a WPA variant. A b/g/n wireless mode should be OK for the inclusion of an 802.11b client (such as the original AirPort card).

iMac G4 WiFi modes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.