Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 will not sync Photos albums on iMac

I have the most current version of iTunes, OS X and IOS, although this problem has occurred for the last few years/versions of all. Maybe since I downloaded Photos, iPhoto seemed OK. When I create an album in Photos it usually will not upload or if it is uploaded it will not sync when new photos are added to the album. I say usually because about 10% of the time it will work. I have tried reinstalling iTune and deleting all photos from my phone, both with limited success only to have it revert back again. This is so frustrating because I use a DSLR and do edits in Lightroom and I like to add the finished products to my iPhone. Currently my phone is updating and it is hung up on step 5 of 6, importing photos. This will stay like this until I walk away. Sometime I'm told the library is unavailable. Any settings or fixes would be so appreciated as I am at a loss and so frustrated.... Thank you in advance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2016 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2016 6:29 PM

If I were you, I would Contact Apple Support - AND - file a "bug report" from the menu choice on ONE OF THESE forms > http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Your issue is complicated, to say the least! May be that you should rewrite your Story so that we can "follow along", painting a mental picture of what you do - in detail, ste-by-step - and the results...

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2016 6:29 PM in response to JimboP

If I were you, I would Contact Apple Support - AND - file a "bug report" from the menu choice on ONE OF THESE forms > http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Your issue is complicated, to say the least! May be that you should rewrite your Story so that we can "follow along", painting a mental picture of what you do - in detail, ste-by-step - and the results...

Mar 28, 2016 6:51 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChitlinsCC, I reported this to Apple as you suggested. Step by step this usually occurs...

Import images from SD card to Photos App.

Export selected images and edit images in Lightroom

Import edited photos into Photos App and drag favorites into 1 of my 5 albums

Sync iPhone 5

Settings for sync are.... Use Photos Library and checked albums.

Sync will hang up on "step 5 of 6, importing photos"

I'll uncheck albums and make a change in the sync from settings, this will delete my iPhone Albums

Eject iPhone, close iTunes.

Reopen and plug in iPhone.

Recheck folders and Albums and I'll get a successful sync.

Mar 28, 2016 7:52 PM in response to JimboP

Just to be sure, JimboP: You wrote "I have the most current version of iTunes, OS X and IOS" , but your profile signature says "Mac OS X (10.6.8)". The most recent MacOS X version would be MacOS X 10.11.4, is that what you are currently using?

If you have not tried it yet, remove the iPod Photo each folder from your Photos Library, as described here at this link: iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

And I would always close both the Photos.app and iTunes before starting to sync. Then relaunch them. This will ensure, that Photos is writing all changes to the Photos library and iTunes will read the updated version from the Media Browser, when it launches again.

Mar 28, 2016 8:13 PM in response to léonie

All my software are the latest version, I just updated my profile to reflect this.

I cleaned the Cache' per your instructions and per your suggestion I'll start closing both applications prior to syncing.

I will not know if this is the fix for a few days as I deleted all my libraries this afternoon because I needed to get a few photos on my phone. Typically this fixes the issue for the next few syncs.

I'll add photos daily for the next few days. If the problem still exists after all your suggestions it will occur in less than a week. Thank you, I'm sure this will work and I'll let you and ChitlinsCC know either way soon.

Jim

Apr 4, 2016 11:10 AM in response to léonie

Well thank you for the help, it's a painful way to upload photos on my iPhone. But if I close both iTunes and Photos applications prior to connecting my iPhone the pictures now slowly upload. This is after I purged the caches'. I did try to just purge and then plug in my iPhone while the applications were open and had no success. I'm sure this is not the way Apple intended but after what I've been through I'll take it.

I very much apprieciate yours and ChitlinsCC assistance!

iPhone 5 will not sync Photos albums on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.