Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.3 messed up iBooks

OK, I'm having some major problems with iBooks since updating to iOS 9.3 on my iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6

First, I can no longer add ePub books from iTunes. PDFs load fine.

Second, I had my iBooks sorted on the Bookshelf correctly by author (last name, first name) then alphabetically by title (if not part of a series) or series, then if in a series, by series sequence.

Today I went to the iBooks Store to get the latest user guides for iOS 9.3 to have on the appropriate iDevice. After getting the two books, when iBooks restarted on my iPad, my entire library was unsorted! I have several hundred books that are now a jumbled mess.

I tried to sort by Author using the iBooks application, but it does NOT sort correctly, but sorts incorrectly by FIRST name!

Is there any way to get the library sorted correctly by author last name, first name except manually?

What about adding ePubs to iBooks?

Posted on Mar 28, 2016 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2016 8:26 AM

Come on Apple. How many people have to tell you iOS 9.3 has messed up ibooks

please can you send put something to fix it!!!!!!

27 replies

Apr 2, 2016 8:17 PM in response to Lynniebabes

No, they'll just ignore it like all the other problems with iBooks. Happy to take the money for the sales in the iTunes store, but can't be bothered giving the slightest support to their customers or the application. Pitiful really, but on par with their behaviour over the years. It's not as if the fixes for the problems are difficult, simply a case of "we're not interested". The only thing I use the iPad mini for is epubs and I have 2500 on there; Mac user since 1988 but I've had a gutfull of their arrogance and my next tablet will be an Android one.

Apr 2, 2016 10:25 PM in response to romad

Had the same problem after the 9.3 upgrade. [See IOS 9.3 sorting not working for details.] Tried for a day and a half to get it working with many resynchs and so on, all to no avail. I ended up copying the Books folder elsewhere, deleting all the books from iTunes, reloading them from the copy and then resynching the lot. Took hours due to the various bugs in iTunes with the iPad, but all the books came back and were still in their proper categories with their edited metadata intact. I still use iTunes as I need the metadata editing facilities that were removed in iBooks for the Mac. I couldn't work with the incorrect author name setting and the defaulting to Bookshelf rather than Author, so I restored the iPad back to 9.2.1 and left it there. Probably not possible now as Apple have undoubtedly removed the authorisation for the earlier version. I have 9.3.1 on the iPhone with all the same books and haven't had a problem loading anything so it appears to be an IPad specific problem. (Sorting is still ruined on the iPhone, so that's a 9.3 problem.)

Apr 14, 2016 10:04 AM in response to spacemagnets

I would not be surprised that the few ePubs that "stuck", are Apple-sourced ePubs, i.e. either books from the iBooks Store or manuals/documentation from support.apple.com Those are the only ePubs I've been able to add since updating to iOS 9.3.x. That tells me that Apple is now restricting iBooks to Apple-sourced only ePubs.

Apr 14, 2016 4:49 PM in response to romad

It seems to be an indexing problem as once the books on the device are deleted and the iTunes/iBooks library on the computer has been rebuilt the ebooks will copy over correctly. There are so many problems with the 9.3 version of iBooks that it makes me wonder who got the job of looking after it for this release. It had already been stripped back so that it was barely functional as a library app, and now even those few useful things have been removed. It can only be wanton incompetence on the part of the programming section responsible or a decision by Apple itself to make iBooks useless for some reason. They've done that before when they have been in the process of dropping a particular technology; the computer world is littered with dumped Apple products.

Get a copy of Calibre as it will convert books between various formats if you want to change epubs to mobi etc. Only takes about 30 secs a book and can handle batch jobs. There are downloadable plugins for ones that aren't in the default installation.

By the way, the total number of complaints in these support forums about problems with the new version is only around a hundred, so Apple is not going to do anything about this ever.

Apr 15, 2016 8:11 AM in response to David Wallace

Well it has gotten worse. I tried an experiment to work-around Apple's new Sort by Author which now sorts by FIRST name instead of correctly by LAST name. I changed the author name field data to last, first and then changed 9 books by two authors with the same last name but different first names (8 by one author and 1 by the other; first names begin with S and J, respectively). Well, the book by J was removed from the iPad and then reinstalled correctly BUT the 8 books by S were removed and NOT reinstalled! I need to find a GOOD ePub reader that sorts properly. Oh, I use Calibré to convert mobi books to ePub as I prefer the ePub format.

Apr 15, 2016 8:56 AM in response to romad

I went back to 9.2.2 on the iPad and just ignore the repeated 'update available' popups. The Mac the iPad is linked to is still running iTunes to load the books, not iBooks as the old iTunes version still has passable metadata editing facilities which were removed in iBooks for the Mac. Every release of iBooks has seen the application (OSX or IOS) dumbed down a little more. All the readers (Bluefire, Neosoar, eBook Reader etc) sort by author first name or initial which shows that whoever codes them knows nothing at all about libraries and doesn't mind making their ignorance public. The only truly decent and "library aware" reader was Stanza, and Amazon killed that off back around IOS 4.0. It's a pity there is no IOS version of Calibre.

Apr 15, 2016 5:35 PM in response to romad

As long as you have the previous IOS .ipsw file you can select it when doing a restore. (There are full instructions online if you do a google search.) Problem is that you can only do it in a window of a couple of days from the release of an update as the installation gets an authorisation code during the process and Apple removes the codes after a short period. I always keep the previous .ipsw file for a few days - iTunes will dump it in the trash - just in case there are serious problems, otherwise if you have a backup drive system that keeps older files you can get the file from your user directory - Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates - if you go to a folder backed up before the installation date.

Apr 15, 2016 7:51 PM in response to romad

Can't tell ya how frustrated the last few weeks have been to me, because the iBooks syncing broke between my mac, iPhone and iPad. I have both my own files and books purchased from iBook store. The notes, bookmarks are not going to sync. It actually worked for a few days after I upgraded to 9.3. Then it just stopped. So disappointed.

iOS 9.3 messed up iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.