Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Edit vertical videos in iMovie

Alright, so I know what you're wondering, "Why would you want to edit video shot vertically?" Well I'll explain. I run a snapchat travel vlog, I upload a lot of videos I edit in iMovie, however, when I upload videos I created in iMovie, the aspect ratio is changed and so it uploads onto snapchat as a small square in the middle and the remaining space is just black. Kind of like if you watched horizontally shot footage on a vertical iPhone screen. It puts the footage in the middle and fills in the void with black emptiness. I want to keep the video the same size of the vertical screen so I can upload to Snapchat and have my edited video fill the screen. Is there any way to do this? If I try to adjust the aspect ratio in HandBrake after editing, it makes the video all skawompy and squeezed together. Thanks for any advice.

iMovie '11, iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2016 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 7:34 AM

Tap on the clip -once you’ve imported it. And on the top right, you can select that magnifying glass with a plus. Then, it allows you to pinch -zoom in or pinch out to resize to the image size you like.User uploaded file

14 replies

Jan 27, 2017 9:31 AM in response to GeeD

So this is a Quicktime Pro not just a Quicktime Player? Guess I will have to try handbrake. Are there any other programs (free preferable) you would recommend for vertical video editing.

I've got it all fixed in iMovie like you said (great tip), but definitely need a way to rotate the video back to vertical now that all my editing is done. Gracias!

Mar 29, 2016 11:24 AM in response to stayclassyUtah

No. iMovie 10 only works in 16:9 aspect ratio. You need Final Cut Pro to work in arbitrary ratios. I don't know about iMovie for IOS.

You could rotate the video onto its side after putting it into the timeline and edit that, though you would not be able to use any titles. After exporting to file you can rotate back using Quicktime Player, Handbrake or similar. This is what is suggested in: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-editing-vertical-iphone-video-on-imovie -for-mac-aspect-ratio-problem.1938179/ (The embedded video is hilarious 😁 though I'm not suggesting that vertical video is a silly as it tries to make out!)

Geoff.

Edit vertical videos in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.