Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After I updated to OSX 10.11.4 all my notes on my mac are gone! How do I get them back?

I updated my macbook pro yesterday to OSX 10.11.4 and then going in to my notes.app all my notes are gone!? ***! I have a lot of important notes and need to find them! Is there anyone who can help me retrieve my notes?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Mar 29, 2016 9:52 AM

9 replies

Mar 30, 2016 4:40 AM in response to Chreed

open finder.

Click Go

Click Go To Folder

Put in this address: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.com.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/

Right click on the .storedata file and choose open with

Text Edit: applications > Text Edit

Your data is in there. Its messy and mixed in amongst A LOT of computer code.... but you can find your notes in big clumps throughout the code.

copy and paste it into Word and then clean up the code from there.

Apr 3, 2016 2:44 AM in response to Alex-Turner

Alex, can you help me here:

in ElCap 10.11.4 I don't find com.apple.com.Notes , however I find com.apple.Notes and the following folders as you mentioned.

But in the Notes folder there is no .storedata file, only three files called NotesV6.storedata NotesV6.storedata-shm NotesV6.storedata-wal . I suppose the NotesV6.storedata is the one I should look for ?

I also find files with the same names but V1 instead of V6: in com.apple.mail and in /private/var/root/......... /Notes.

There is no such file as .storedata on my mac.

Lex

Apr 3, 2016 3:09 AM in response to Alex-Turner

I looked in NotesV6.storedata with Textedit and Textwrangler and found the Notes, but it is an incredible job to extricate them from there...

There must be a simpler way, I thought.

So I deleted the NotesV6.storedata file, then while in this folder in Finder, I entered TimeMachine, went back a few days (and Finder stayed in that folder ! ) and restored the file. That worked.

This might not be possible always and for all dates (I was in 10.11.4 also in the TimeMachine date).

Apr 12, 2016 7:51 PM in response to Chreed

I believe the above folder has a typo. remove the .com after /com.apple so it should be

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/

Also, after you find the file NotesV6.storedata

- copy it to your desktop,

- add the file extension HTML and

- open it with safari by just double clicking on it.

You can then find your note data is a readable and copy-able format so you can simple copy and paste it into a new note in "new" Notes.

Good luck... Al Z

After I updated to OSX 10.11.4 all my notes on my mac are gone! How do I get them back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.