Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my AirPort Extreme recently stopped connecting with my Android tablet and Windows 7 laptop, but connects just fine with any Apple devices?

Why has my AirPort Extreme recently stopped connecting with my Android tablet and Windows 7 laptop, but connects just fine with any Apple devices?

Posted on Mar 29, 2016 7:28 PM

7 replies

Mar 30, 2016 10:29 AM in response to Hetro57

Which exact model of the AirPort Extreme do you have? Have either or both your tablet or Win7 laptop been upgraded recently? Were they both able to connect before and not now OR have they never been able to connect? Can the Win7 laptop get Internet access when connected by Ethernet? Do either of these devices have any issues connecting to other Wi-Fi networks?

Mar 30, 2016 5:17 PM in response to Tesserax

• AirPort Extreme Base Station with simultaneous dual-band support. I'm not close to my AirPort, it's at work, but it is the latest model if that helps.
  • Laptop and tablet are up to date.
  • They connected fine until about a week ago.
  • Lap gets internet fine when connected to Ethernet.
  • Both have no issues connecting to any other Wi-Fi networks.

Mar 30, 2016 5:33 PM in response to Hetro57

AirPort Extreme Base Station with simultaneous dual-band support. I'm not close to my AirPort, it's at work, but it is the latest model if that helps.

Ok, I am going to assume that you have an 802.11ac AirPort Extreme base station. That would be model# A1521. Since it's at work, do you have administrator rights to make potential changes or resets to the base station or do your workplace have their own IT department that takes care of these things?

Laptop and tablet are up to date.

That would be the laptop is running Windows 7 with the latest update. What is the make & model of this laptop? Is it yours or does your company own it? ... and how about the Android phone?

They connected fine until about a week ago.

So potentially, either something changed on either device or something changed on the AirPort base station. Do you know if the base station got a firmware update or a configuration change during this timeframe?

Lap gets internet fine when connected to Ethernet.

This would point to either the base station's or the laptop's wireless. This could potentially be an incorrect wireless setting on either.

Both have no issues connecting to any other Wi-Fi networks.

... and this would tend to say that neither device's wireless would be the issue. Which makes me thing that the AirPort base station is where we need to concentrate our troubleshooting. Again, do you have access to this base station and do you know your company's overall network configuration using this base station?

Mar 30, 2016 10:09 PM in response to Tesserax

• I do have administrator rights to make the changes and reset the base station.
  • Yes the laptop is running Windows 7 with the latest update. It is a Lenova E545 Thinkpad, and I own it. The tablet is the ASUS Zen P01M Android version 5.0., it's mine also.
  • I do you know if the base station got a firmware update or a configuration change during this timeframe?
  • I do have access to this base station and will get the company's overall network configuration using this base station.

Mar 31, 2016 7:42 AM in response to Hetro57

Thanks for the updates. Since your base station works for other devices other than your laptop and tablet does not seem to indicate an issue with the base station itself. However, it could still be related to its settings. Does the base station's wireless network name have any spaces? For example: My Work Network. If it does, try removing them and see if this helps these two devices.

If it doesn't then temporarily disable wireless security. Can they connect now?

May 4, 2016 5:21 PM in response to Tesserax

Well after several hard resets and several settings changes and importings of saved configurations, I finally got it! But after a few minutes all was lost again. I tried all of your suggestions, and more, then gave up for the day. I decided to take the AirPort home and work on it there. As soon as I plugged it in all of the other devices connected. I can only assume that the two new external hard drives someone just installed next to the AirPort are the culprits. Now all I need to do is to somehow isolate the components in the very small space they are contained in.

May 4, 2016 5:35 PM in response to Hetro57

First of all, I am so, so, sorry that I've not gotten back with my results. I did end up relocating the AirPort away from the two recently added external hard drives, and all of the rest of the additional equipment in the confined space behind the computer, and that solved the whole problem. I guess I was holding off on that move because of the extensive rewiring needed to do the move. I moved it only about 18-24" below the other equipment into another compartment. I guess one good thing in waiting so long to report my success is that it has been about a month now and everything is still good. 🙂

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.