Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is text on iPhone green due to Do Not Disturb or blocked number?

My BF & I got into an argument & now when I try to text him my texts turn from blue to green. Is this an indication of being blocked or on Do Not Disturb? Thanks for y'alls help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 4:14 AM

What about airplane mode? If someone switches their phone to that, does that make them green instead of blue?

30 replies

Apr 16, 2017 5:51 AM in response to Bp1421

While in the past, there was no indicator that one was blocked. However, now when blocked, iMessages go as texts/green. I know this for 100% sure because my boyfriend told me he was gping to block me and after that all of my messages went green/texts. When he unblocked me they went blue/iMessage. I tested it with my son and had the same result. However, if the iPhone loses signal, or was turned off, messages will also go as texts/green. So green texts does not automatically mean one is blocked. But if one IS blocked, messages will not go as iMessage.

Green texts means either one was blocked or the phone does not have service at the moment or the phone was turned off.

It would also appear that after a few hours

Of being blocked, the type line will turn blue again until you try to send another iMessage.

If the phone is still off or you are atill blocked, it will turn green again. Your phone only knows it is blocked for so long. Kind of has to be reminded I guess.

I hope all was worked out. Being blocked is not fun but can bring peace for a little while for all to calm down. Best of luck ...

Aug 14, 2017 2:53 PM in response to Bp1421

I literally have been trying to find out the exact same thing with my boyfriend. It only turns green when we get into an arguement. I wanted to know if I'm blocked or on do not disturb whatever so I asked my friend to text him from her phone. When she sent a message it was blue (iMessage) but when I did it was green. Also, in the box you text in it says text message and my friends says iMessage. I have yet to find an answer as well.

Mar 30, 2016 1:07 PM in response to Bp1421

Do Not Disturb will not turn them to green as they are delivered but no sound or notification goes through while Do Not Disturb is on. I am not 100% sure but I don't think blocking exhibits this behavior either. As far as I know to the sender nothing appears to be different but the receiver wouldn't ever get the message.

Edit: After some further research it appears that if you are on iOS 8 then it would try to send the message as an iMessage (blue) and attempt to send. After a couple of minutes it would resend as an SMS (green). However, with iOS 9 it will immediately show as delivered and remain blue. Either way, the person that has blocked you will never receive the messages.

Mar 30, 2016 4:02 PM in response to Bp1421

Bp1421 wrote:

My BF & I got into an argument & now when I try to text him my texts turn from blue to green. Is this an indication of being blocked or on Do Not Disturb? Thanks for y'alls help!

If the recipient of your messages has their phone on DND (or just your conversation, the messages will go through as normal but the recipient will not be notified. When they look at their Messages app, they'll be able to see that you've sent messages.

If the recipient has you blocked, everything will look normal on your end but the messages will never be delivered. They will never appear on the recipient's phone.

As noted, the color of the messages tells you nothing about whether or not the recipient is seeing your messages.

Mar 31, 2016 6:45 AM in response to Bp1421

Bp1421 wrote:

So what did the earlier user mean when they said that on iOS 8 it will attempt to send as iMessage but then send as a text but on iOS 9 it will look like a normal iMessage when sending but just never deliver? Sorry I have so many questions lol

Are you on iOS 8 or iOS 9? If you are on iOS 8 then it will attempt to send as an iMessage but then send as an SMS of you are blocked. If you are on iOS 9 then it won't look any different. See the following article:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/have-i-been-blocked-in-ios-7-who- blocked-me-ios-8-iphone-ios-9-3476005/

Specifically look at the section labeled "Have I been I been blocked by an iPhone: What happens to a blocked text message?"

Mar 30, 2016 5:47 PM in response to Bp1421

Bp1421 wrote:

thata why I was asking bc we've gotten into fights before and he's blocked me but it always sent as iMessage as normal he just clearly never recieved it. The texts going from blue to green have been going on since last night so I was just curious as to why it was doing that. Maybe his data is off?

What color the bubble turns has nothing to do with whether or not you've been blocked or placed on DND. Turning his data off just to avoid you seems a bit extreme, especially when there are better options. Perhaps his phone is broken. Perhaps he joined a monastery with no internet service. The simple fact of the matter is that, until you can ask him, you're not going to know.

Mar 30, 2016 4:36 PM in response to Bp1421

Bp1421 wrote:

So why when I type a message it starts as blue but turns to green only when I text him?

When imessage is unavailable it will send it as a text message, usually the receiver is in an area with a weak wifi or cellular signal or has imessage turned off. that is no indication that you've been blocked or he has do not disturb on.

this all can be rectify if you simply give him a call and ask if you've been blocked.

Is text on iPhone green due to Do Not Disturb or blocked number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.