Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MINI using MAX bandwidth?

Hello, I have been having a ongoing problem with my Mac Mini using all my bandwidth when I am not using it.

I have Charter and I am normally running 120-130mbps and it currently hard wired into the router, but happens when hard wired and wifi.

I had had this happen using Avast and had sophros anti virus installed.

When this happens I can be watching apple tv and next thing it start pixelating. I stop my apple tv, check my speed and i drop to 20-30mbps, check my router and my mini mac light is going to town. Un-plug the Mac and the problem is solved.

Is there a way I can find the culprit?

(late 2012, 2.3ghz i7,16g ram 1600 MHz ddr3, intel grphx 4000 1536mb)

Mac mini (Late 2012)

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 9:36 AM

2 replies

Mar 30, 2016 11:53 PM in response to lentheboxman

lentheboxman wrote:

Hello, I have been having a ongoing problem with my Mac Mini using all my bandwidth when I am not using it.

I have Charter and I am normally running 120-130mbps and it currently hard wired into the router, but happens when hard wired and wifi.

I had had this happen using Avast and had sophros anti virus installed.

When this happens I can be watching apple tv and next thing it start pixelating. I stop my apple tv, check my speed and i drop to 20-30mbps, check my router and my mini mac light is going to town. Un-plug the Mac and the problem is solved.

Is there a way I can find the culprit?

(late 2012, 2.3ghz i7,16g ram 1600 MHz ddr3, intel grphx 4000 1536mb)

Uninstall only the two anti virus programs, using their uninstall instructions found on their websites. Use Activity monitor to determine if the problem has remained or not. You can always re-install any or both of them if needed.

Using common sense is a far better way to protect your Mac. Your mini as configured with it's haredware is a very powerful little beast, especially equipped with an adequate SSD. We only use ClamXav and the two built-in firewalls, but lots of common sense.

Leo

MINI using MAX bandwidth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.