Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My desktops reorganize themselves after the screen saver runs

Hello everyone,

I've run into a problem with El Capitan that I've been experiencing for a while and have only recently begun to nail down. Every once in a while (and multiple times today), my virtual desktops will reorganize themselves. I have three desktops that I keep open at work all the time. Desktop 1 has apps assigned to it, and the other two do not. However, Desktop 2 and Desktop 3 often get switched. It seems to happen after the screen saver has run for a bit, and as far as I can tell, I am doing nothing to cause it. I know you can drag-and-drop the desktops to reorganize them manually, but that's not what's causing this.

Has anyone seen this happen before and know anything about it? Or have I encountered a previously unknown issue?

Thanks for the help!

Jason

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 11:38 AM

Jason,

What are your settings in System Preferences>Mission Control?

User uploaded file

3 replies

Mar 30, 2016 12:00 PM in response to le_jawa

le_jawa wrote:

Here you go:

Apparently that "most recent use" setting is it, though the behavior isn't quite what I expected. If I click an icon in the Dock, and that app is on Desktop 3, the desktops are switched. Not what I want or expected, but that's it (and it's off now). Thanks for the pointer!

You are welcome...glad to help.

My desktops reorganize themselves after the screen saver runs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.