Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why wont iTunes recognize my devices?

Why won"t iTunes recognize my iPod Touch or any of my other Apple devices?

iOS 9.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2016 10:51 PM

Check that your iTunes is up to date (See Get the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support)

If problems continue to persist, try the advice given by the following Apple Support article: If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

I hope this helped! 🙂

7 replies

Apr 1, 2016 12:13 AM in response to Lamppost1

Did you recently update itunes? The newest itunes 12.3.3.17 64 bit stopped working with my USB ports and syncing iphone. Try getting the version from Apple - Support - Downloads for computers with older video cards. Not easy to get, as the links don't seem easy to find for these alternative versions and landed on them through a google search.

Apr 1, 2016 2:06 AM in response to voldemort_from_aloha_or

I have the same problem with iTunes not recognising my iPhone and iPad. It is not the cable or USB port, because it does recognise my iPod using the same set up. My computer is also only a few months old with a recent video card. It also worked before the latest upgrade to iTunes, which I did install.

I have previously experienced problems following upgrades to iTunes on a Windows PC, so I tend to assume that the problem is software related, whereas the standard responses to queries usually assume the problem is down to my hardware!

Apr 1, 2016 8:10 AM in response to Lamppost1

Try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

Or try iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Apr 3, 2016 5:54 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi Turingtest2

Can you advise please? My issue is related...

I had an problem where iTunes would not completely 'see' my iPad mini. It would beep when connected from Windows via USB, and I could see the Photos using File Explorer, but it refused to show the mini icon at the top of iTunes which would allow me to configure films, music etc on my iPad.

I must admit, that when I updated to IOS 9.3, that is when the problem started, and there was a reference to 'older video card'.

Later when I installed the more bug free IOS 9.3.1 I was still unable to access the iPad, hence the clean reinstall.

After trying a number of things in the Apple support page https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204095 such as plugging cable into a different USB socket, trying a different cable...deleting the lockdown folder and checking device manager, I decided to cut my losses and reinstall iTunes clean from scratch.

After taking a precautionary backup, I followed the support file's list of how to uninstall iTunes, and then I reinstalled iTunes.

All is working well, although I shall be re downloading missing Apple music for a few days!

What I noticed was that I now could see a USB driver that was NOT showing before. (see picture)

User uploaded file

QUESTION

My question is, rather than reinstall clean, was there a quicker way or better to have fixed the problem - and should I backup that driver in a way that makes it easier to be reinstalled??

why wont iTunes recognize my devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.