Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you selectively sync podcasts to either your iPod or iPhone?

I have the iPhone and iPod connected to the same laptop using the same iTunes account. I do not want all the current podcasts that I sync to the iPod syncing to the iPhone.

I do not see a way in iTunes to be podcast selective between the two devices.

Absent a way to do so, I also don't see a way to tell the iPhone app to not sync anything and just go dormant?

Mark

iPhone 6, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 31, 2016 7:30 AM

10 replies

Mar 31, 2016 8:29 AM in response to turingtest2

Excellent. Both devices are upstairs at the moment so opening iTunes w/o them won't help. So for when I get back home this afternoon, could you give me a clue as to where I start in iTunes with the phone connected to change what is currently set? Since now, whatever I Podcast changes I make in Edit of the podcast screen for a device, those changes are reflected for the other device when I then select it.

Mark

Apr 1, 2016 5:05 AM in response to ed2345

The Sync Music checkbox is under Settings/Music (lefthand panel) with the phone connected. Summary, in the same lefthand panel, has backup and options and not your screenshot. I did/do have the radio button to which you refer checked under Music and that does did not have any effect on my current situation with podcasts.

Mark

Apr 1, 2016 5:23 AM in response to turingtest2

tt2--

At the risk of appearing overly dense, I think I did as you suggest with less than great results.

I first edited Preferences as you suggested.

I then synced the iPod as usual (On my Device/Podcast/Edit...right clicking yesterday's partially played podcasts and podcasts that are now dated marking them as played), then clicked Refresh and then synced.

After which I selected the phone. I had two options (I think)--right click the podcast name and mark as played or uncheck the episode(s), Done, Sync. I first chose to uncheck the episodes which didn't work well for two reasons. One of the podcasts consists of 3 episodes/day. However, despite the 3 being unchecked, the 3rd hour (3 of 3) still syncs. Also, since I normally sync the iPod first in the morning it makes more sense to just mark any podcasts that I do not want to sync to the phone as played instead of unchecking the box.

I still, on the phone, had to manually delete episodes that the phone had downloaded on its own when not connected to iTunes (I changed the setting on the phone to not allow podcasts to download on their own when unattached to iTunes). I had thought that a sync from iTunes would have superseded the target device and removed any podcasts not a part of the set being synced--but it did not.

This all said, it's not what I had hoped to be the solution. Frankly, iTunes allowing for separate, local device 'accounts' with each device having it's own sync settings for podcasts (or whatever) would be far simpler and more time economical.

Mark

How can you selectively sync podcasts to either your iPod or iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.