Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Utility says my Airport Extreme may be overheating

My Airport Extreme (serial # C86MJH81FJ1R) version 7.7.3 starts flashing amber periodically and I can hear the fan running when it does. Airport Utility says that the device may be overheating yet it is cool to the touch. Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated. Thanks. Ron...

Posted on Mar 31, 2016 12:58 PM

12 replies

Jun 22, 2017 1:34 PM in response to Tesserax

Sorry, didn't notice your reply. If you go to this page: AppleCare+ - iPad - Apple, and scroll to the bottom, you'll see this:

User uploaded file

Footnote #4 is what the Genius Bar rep pointed me to when I requested a replacement because I had an Applecare eligible product. On the bright side, in this thread someone mentioned that disabling file sharing eliminated the overheating message, which worked for me, so I no longer need a replacement anyway. Appreciate your follow-up.

Mar 31, 2016 1:07 PM in response to Catain

The 802.11ac AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule employs a fan near the top of the unit that draws in air from the bottom. Be sure to check the base to see if there is anything blocking it. To get a better idea on what is going on inside your base station, please take a look at this iFixIt site.

Ok, with that said, what can be done about it. Unfortunately, not much. Disassembling the unit would potentially void any warranty and not necessarily fix anything. The potential issues are either a faulty fan or power supply or both. Of course, I am assuming that you are operating your base station in a relatively cool environment, not near any object that may obstruct the base, or not inside a closed space.

May 1, 2016 1:24 PM in response to Catain

Did the Genius Bar resolve this for you? I have an Airport Extreme with the same problem. Fan ramps up and amber light flashes for about 30 seconds periodically. Airport Utility suggests it is overheating but it is not hot and and is functioning normally. Fan will stop again after 30 seconds.

Airport Utility says my Airport Extreme may be overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.