Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

light word processor for iBook?

i have an iBook clamshell (indigo) that i found and dusted off. its got 192mb ram, 366ppc G3, and a 10gb HDD, it also runs tiger 10.4.11. i know its very outdated but it still works and runs a semi modern OS, and id like to use it for taking notes in class. i know the stock notepad works fine, but id like a bit more functionality. I'm not sure what i was thinking the last time i used it because it also has full 2009 iWork programs that barely run. I'm looking for something lighter so when i type theres not a full 2 second delay from when i push a key and it appears on the screen! again, just as a novelty note taking machine.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iBook g3 clamshell indigo

Posted on Mar 31, 2016 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 12:12 AM

There is a light word processor that I'd tried some years ago with my iBook G4 (mid-2005) that was

running Tiger OS X 10.4.11, by the name "Bean" and it seemed to do OK. Of course I have AppleWorks

it still works great, but didn't want to launch that or Office for Mac. I also have an early MS Word 5.1a

that still can do well on its own, but didn't handle newer Word or Office word processor documents.

The iBook I have is the last model, so it's leaps and bounds faster (in its day) than your older model.

This may be too light for your needs. TextEdit usually is a fair word processor included in the OS X.

About Bean:

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

[Download Bean for Tiger]

This older version (2.4.5) is compatible with OS X Tiger 10.4+

{Note: this software is no longer being actively developed -- see site for details.}

Perhaps this may work OK, if you don't need something too involved.

Some of the older software is harder to find, and be wary of softonic

and other third-party sites that may offer titles, but download junkware.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2016 12:12 AM in response to applecore power pc

There is a light word processor that I'd tried some years ago with my iBook G4 (mid-2005) that was

running Tiger OS X 10.4.11, by the name "Bean" and it seemed to do OK. Of course I have AppleWorks

it still works great, but didn't want to launch that or Office for Mac. I also have an early MS Word 5.1a

that still can do well on its own, but didn't handle newer Word or Office word processor documents.

The iBook I have is the last model, so it's leaps and bounds faster (in its day) than your older model.

This may be too light for your needs. TextEdit usually is a fair word processor included in the OS X.

About Bean:

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

[Download Bean for Tiger]

This older version (2.4.5) is compatible with OS X Tiger 10.4+

{Note: this software is no longer being actively developed -- see site for details.}

Perhaps this may work OK, if you don't need something too involved.

Some of the older software is harder to find, and be wary of softonic

and other third-party sites that may offer titles, but download junkware.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 1, 2016 1:03 PM in response to applecore power pc

You may use an older version of MS Office which was released back in these days.

Microsoft Office v.X system requirements:

Processor: G3, Mac OS X compatible.

Operating system: Mac OS X version 10.1 or later.

Memory: 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM.

Hard disk: 196 MB of available hard disk space

I recommend to upgrade the iBook Clamshell RAM to 576MB -

Link: iBook RAM upgrade guide

Link: Ram Upgrade howto

light word processor for iBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.