Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iweb Domain File retrieval using FTP?

I am using iWeb 3.0.4 and accidentally removed my current Domain files.

Is there a way to retrieve them and reinstall them back into a new Domain file by using the FTP program (I'm using "Fetch") to access them on my web server?k

Very much appreciated

Final Cut Express HD-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2016 4:40 PM

1 reply

Apr 1, 2016 1:07 AM in response to jimmm20

You need to be careful what you mean by 'Domain files'? Do you mean the domain.sites files that iWeb stores data in?

If you do, then the answer is no, you can't download anything from your server that will be any use to iWeb. All the files already published to your web server are html files and iWeb cannot read html files - it has no import facility.

When you publish from iWeb to a local folder on your desktop, html files are created and that is what you upload to your web host. You cannot download html files and put them back into iWeb as iWeb has n o import facility.

If you have lost your domain.sites files, then there is nothing you can do unless you kept a backup of them? If not, then you need to alter the html files of your site directly with an html editor such as TextWrangler and if you don't want to do that, then you will have to re-build your site from scratch in iWeb.

You do realise that iWeb is an unsupported product and has been for the last 4 years with no updates for the last 6?

Perhaps, if you need to re-build your site from scratch you might consider a supported application such as EverWeb. Take a look by clicking on the link.

Iweb Domain File retrieval using FTP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.