Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ibooks crash on ipad pro after IOS update to 9.3.1..please help

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2016 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 2:58 AM

I have the same problem after the OS 9.3 update on my Ipad 2.... Ibooks crashing. PDF and books missing. I was able to access my books for about a minute before it crashed.

It is still happening with the 9.3.1 update.

I really don't know where to go next except put it out there that the 9.3.1 upgrade did not fix my problem.

Thinking I may have to take it to an Apple tech. which is an expense I really don't think I should have to bear seeing as I did not cause the problem as everything was working fine with my Ibooks before the OS 9.3 upgrade.

Thanks

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2016 2:58 AM in response to navin878

I have the same problem after the OS 9.3 update on my Ipad 2.... Ibooks crashing. PDF and books missing. I was able to access my books for about a minute before it crashed.

It is still happening with the 9.3.1 update.

I really don't know where to go next except put it out there that the 9.3.1 upgrade did not fix my problem.

Thinking I may have to take it to an Apple tech. which is an expense I really don't think I should have to bear seeing as I did not cause the problem as everything was working fine with my Ibooks before the OS 9.3 upgrade.

Thanks

Apr 3, 2016 4:02 PM in response to Mikal1950

I did not seek techno advice I thought I'd go to the change that occurred on the new operating system.....which is IBooks....OS 9.3 and 9.3.1..on both my iPad and iPad mini.

I am not a techno in any way just desperate to get my books and PDF files back.

so this is what I did.

1. Went to settings....signed into iCloud

2. Then iCloud Drive.....scroll down to Ibooks.....slide to off position

3. I shut down my iPad......Then restarted my iPad.

4. Back to iCloud Drive..Ibooks.....turn back on.

5. Then I went into my IBooks app.

6. Pop up asked if I wanted to switch on iCloud.....I answered.....yes.....

7. After the download all my PDF'S and IBooks came back......with the choice of leaving some in iCloud....I was able to recover books stored in iCloud too.

Problem solved.

Then I updated my iPad mini....no problem after i applied the changes I stated as above.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Lynnette

Apr 6, 2016 1:14 PM in response to Murrumbeena Jewels

Great!! I am so glad it worked for you too.

Okay that happened to me too.

I did find that none of my books or PDF's were in their collections after the reboot of my iPad and applying the changes.

This is what I did.

1. Made sure my iPad was fully charged.

2.Opened iBooks....then opened 'all books'...

3.I then scrolled down through all my books in 'my collections' allowing the books and PDF's to appear including the books and PDF's in iCloud.(I have an extensive collection of books and PDF's).

4. I rebooted again.

They are all back in their respective collections.

I like the fact that some of my books are in iCloud as it has freed up room on my iPad and the choice of downloading when needed.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lynnette

Apr 8, 2016 2:31 PM in response to Murrumbeena Jewels

HI

DId you scroll through the iBooks collection of "ALL BOOKS" allowing all your books and PDF's to download to your iPad and iCloud?

Also in "ALL BOOKS" do you have the 'cloud' or 'select' icon?

I hit the cloud icon in the right hand corner this bought through all my books, pdf's...

I now have the 'select ' icon in the right hand corner.

i found that slowly scrolling through the collection of ""ALL BOOKS" synced everything into their collection.

I always reboot.

i truly hope that this helped and you get your collections all sorted.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Lynnette

Apr 9, 2016 11:24 PM in response to lynnetteqld

Hi Lynnette,

thanks so much for your help I did the switch on switch off trick and slowly scrolled down my All Books Collection which brought back all my Books and PDFs to this collection but I have no other collection names appearing

I have the Select button appearing in the top right corner

Before I did your steps I had no books in my iBooks App but I did have the Default Collection Names and I do not think that I had any of my collection names then

After your steps I have ALL Books, Books and PDFs Collections all working but no other collection names

Sorry to be a bother to you but do you think it would help if I restored my iBooks from my February backup (if I can just restore iBooks) otherwise I do not think there is anything left to do other than re-create new collections and re-move the books to my new collections

Thanks again for your help

Jewels

Apr 10, 2016 9:51 PM in response to Murrumbeena Jewels

HI Jewels

That's excellent that you have them all back.

Okay......

I did not loose my collection names. I did manage to take a peek before my iBooks crashed (pre fixing)and I noticed that I had a few books in their designated collections but not all.

My books were all back in their folders after I applied my fix and restarted.

I also decided that if my books were not in their collections that I had previously sorted them in I would put them all back myself instead of using the back up. I was concerned at the risk of loosing everything.

In saying that I'm not advanced enough to give that sort of advice whether you should use backup.

I personally myself wouldn't do it.

I hope I've given you the right advice. I wouldn't want you to loose your books and PDF's.

Cheers

Lynnette

Apr 11, 2016 5:45 AM in response to lynnetteqld

Hi All

I updated my iPad Air 2 with OS 9.3.1 over the weekend and discovered that iBooks would not open just kept crashing. I primarily use iBooks for pdf files such as camera manuals and other docs.

I tried the various remedies I read on this page and other pages and none worked, including restarting the iPad and all iCloud functions.

I decided to simply re-sync my iPad with my Mac Book Pro 15 inch running OSX Yosemite 10.10.3 by connecting it with its USB cord (I sync via iTunes / iCloud / my Mac Book, iPhone 4S and iPad Air 2.... within seconds of connecting and syncing iBooks on iPad starting functioning displaying all my pdf files ... and continues to do so.

Don't why this works but it did ...

Good luck

Ken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.