Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

got the question mark folder flashing, held down. Shut down and restarted holding down Option key - the world came up and eventually mac os x utilities. When I click on Disk utility it I don't see my start up h.drive there. please help

Hi, I see others have had the same problem as me with the folder flashing with the question mark. I followed instructions holding down the option key on startup, got the world spinning all night long and now this morning it prompts me with the Mac OS X Utilities box. I clicked on Disk utility but the start up hard drive is not there - in only shows Mac OS X Base system and won't allow me to do anything. I click on Apple at top and go to Start up disk - and it is blank. PLEASE HELP.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 6:06 AM

1 reply

Apr 1, 2016 10:32 AM in response to nortscrosses

Startup – Question Mark

Startup Issues - Resolve

Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

Startup Issues - Resolve (3)

If the above doesn't work, boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

got the question mark folder flashing, held down. Shut down and restarted holding down Option key - the world came up and eventually mac os x utilities. When I click on Disk utility it I don't see my start up h.drive there. please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.