Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad pro 9.7 inch, Smart Cover too big

No good fit like on my iPad Air, just way too big cover

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 6:31 AM

13 replies

Apr 1, 2016 11:00 AM in response to Frans05

I think the current Smart Covers are purposely cut slightly big to compensate for the Smart Case (back section only) if you will be using one with the device.

For example, I have the iPad mini 4. If I use the Smart Cover (yes, the one specifically made for this device) by itself, it indeed seems a bit too bit. If however, I install the Smart Case (back only), the fit of the Smart Cover is just right and just meets the edge of the Smart Case. If the Smart Cover were cut any smaller, it would "fall into" the border of the Smart Case.

Personally, I feel this over-cut is "by design".

If you feel it's not right, take it back for refund and shop for something different.

Apr 1, 2016 12:15 PM in response to SergZak

Me 2.... Very dumb Smart Cover!!!

I had an iPad Pro 12 + pencil and traded it in on the pro 9.7 + pencil. I've had just about every model of iPad from the beginning and the 9.7 pro is simply great... not so for the 12 ipad pro.

I just got the Apple smart cover for my iPad Pro 9.7 and I am extremely disappointed. The Apple smart cover does not fit correctly. It has a sloppy fit that is not at all up to the level it should be for a $10 cover let a lone a $50 cover.

This not so smart cover design is described by the author of an article on arstechnica.com in which he calls the problem “overflap.” There are many complaints about this “dumb smart cover” turning up online all over the internet.

The cover has been cut too large for the iPad and sticks out on the side that opens and exposes a mildly sharp uncomfortable edge. This protrusion makes the cover uncomfortable to hold when open or close. This overlap also makes the cover prone to false-opens when closed.

The cover is such a sloppy fit completely unlike the covers for the iPad Air line and as a result feels like a cheap knock off. Apple should make a cover that fits as well as the cover for the iPad Air 2 (which I also have). I own 4 apple notebooks (pros, airs, and new macbook 2015), 4 ipads, and an iPhone 6. I love Apple products and it really troubles me when you release something that is not up to your typical quality standards.

The author of the article on arstechnica.com speculates the smart cover was made this way so that it’s better fit with the optional silicon case but that makes it a bad fit without the case. If that is the case (no pun intended) and this dumbly designed smart cover can’t fit properly, both with and without the case, then you should make two different covers.

Apr 2, 2016 10:31 AM in response to Frans05

You're dead on! I have bought and new iPad every year for the past 5 years in a row and always get a new smart cover too. This year is the first where it was a bad fit. I took a picture of it and its obvious. The apple store acknowledged it and agreed to exchange it for me when apple actually resolve the issue. I tried 4 other new covers in the store and all of them had the same flaw. You can not use an iPad Air 2 cover as the magnets have reversed polarity. Apple made sure all customers had to buy new covers. That was a little bit of a shady move from apple I thought.

These covers are clearly cut too big and overlap about 3-4 millimeters across the right edge of the iPad. It's obviously a mistake and hopefully apple will recognize it, fix it and offer to exchange our covers. When buying the BMW of computers, we expect everything to be right.

IF they are indeed cut bigger to compensate for the smart case, well that's ridiculous I think. If people want a case, they'll buy the leather case that comes with a lid already. I'm not getting what apple are thinking here!

Apr 8, 2016 10:37 AM in response to Frans05

I've used Smart Cover on iPad Air & iPad Air 2 and loved it.

Smart Cover on iPad Pro 9.7 is terribly designed!

1) It feels sloppy and completely uncomfortable in the hand when covering iPad screen.

2) The one I have received smelled like the cheapest plastic ever made with a very strong distinct smell. There is no way one can possible use it because of the very bad materials used for production. I am not sure if its just the first shipment like that or all of them are bad. Have returned the cover to Apple Store today and the one they had was the same poor design and terrible smell. It costs 59 Euro!

I see Apple having many many of them returned, no doubt.

This flawed design must be fixed.

There is a Smart Case for iPad Air for those who wants protecting device from both sides, just release that for iPad Pro.

I hope fix is coming soon enough.

May 2, 2016 9:36 AM in response to Frans05

That is really funny. I have found two new problems.

I don't have exact dimension, but i think:

1. The smartcover is thicker than on AIR 2.

2. And second is that is heavier than AIR 2.

It's crazy. That cover have more "FAT" 😀 its bigger, thicker and heavier...

Anybody know, how to "FIX" it? Im not sure that returtn to apple fix this issue.

Ipad pro 9.7 inch, Smart Cover too big

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.