Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook SD card info says 1/2 full but card is empty, what is going on?

I have a 1 GB PNY brand SD card. I put it into my MacBook & info says only 580mg available but the card is empty. I had some data on the card but no long needed the info so deleted everything without any change in the available space on the card. What's up? Is it Yosemite? Is it the card?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 11:49 AM

With the SD card installed, did you empty the trash? When you move a file on an external memory card to the trash it is put in the trash folder on that memory card. It stays in the trash folder until you empty the trash (when the card is connected to your Mac).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2016 11:49 AM in response to susieqk

With the SD card installed, did you empty the trash? When you move a file on an external memory card to the trash it is put in the trash folder on that memory card. It stays in the trash folder until you empty the trash (when the card is connected to your Mac).

Apr 2, 2016 5:52 PM in response to Duane

Thank you! I had previously deleted the photos, ejected the card & then emptied the trash later that day. Was not aware the pics were still somewhere hidden on the card unless you empty the trash while card is still there & card open. Learned something new. Awesome!! :-) If all my computer issues could be solved so easily! LOL

macbook SD card info says 1/2 full but card is empty, what is going on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.