Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I get a crossed out circle and it shuts off. What can I do?

I wiped my macbook pro using a command in terminal. After the wipe. I get a flashing folder with question mark. I load the OS X disc. I boot up holding down "C". Then I get a crossed out circle and then the macbook pro shuts down. I tried doing a PRAM reset, a SMC reset with no results. I tried doing internet Recovery holding "R" on startup and when I connect to a wifi network, it freezes or gives me an error. I made a Recovery Disk Assistant on a flash drive and it still gives me a crossed out circle and shuts off. I tried a different hard drive and still the same. I got a HDD with Mac OS X preinstalled and put in in the macbook pro. It still turns off. I thought it was the HDD bought I tried different working HDDS and still gives me the crossed out circle. I can't get into disc utility nor internet recovery. Help.

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 1:01 PM

16 replies

Apr 1, 2016 1:38 PM in response to ferndog94

Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- Rkeys until a globe appears. The Utility Menu will appear in from 15-20 minutes.

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the hard drive (out-dented entry) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Partition tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  5. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install El Capitan or the version of OS X originally installed on your machine when it was new. There are differences between using Disk Utility in El Capitan and using any prior version. But the overall procedure is the same.

Apr 1, 2016 1:54 PM in response to ferndog94

ferndog94 wrote:

Case says 2010 A1286 MD104LL/A

Everymac.com says late 2012

An A1286, MD104ll/A MBP is a 15" 2012 model. What prompts you to say the case says 2010?

What DVD disk were you using to boot the MBP? It it an original installation disk that came with the MBP? If so, it would be more likely be a 2010 model.

If you enter the serial number that is on the back of the MBP here, what does it say regarding the model/year?

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

It is important to establish what you have before engaging in any extensive trouble shooting.

Ciao.

Apr 1, 2016 1:56 PM in response to theratter

theratter wrote:

If the above also fails to work, then you probably have a bad disk drive.

No, he probably has a 2010 model (as he indicated).

It matters which year it actually is. A 2012 would have Internet Recovery, a 2010 not so.

Bottom line the OP's Mac can't be a 2010 and a 2012 model at the same time, it matters which it s.

Apr 5, 2016 10:54 AM in response to ferndog94

Apparently when you ran the terminal commands, you erased everything including the recovery drive. I do not know what osx disk you have as no dvd can have enough install space to have an install of Lion unless you found one that will hold 8gb. That is the minim for a bootable flash drive. If you have access to another Mac, you could download El Capitan from the app store and use a 8 gb flash drive to make an installer to boot from to fix your internal drive. otherwise using Command Option R for internet recovery, you could use the disk utilities tool to fix or erase your drive and install Lion.Then download and install El Capitan.

I get a crossed out circle and it shuts off. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.