Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro - Pencil not working in Notes

Before upgrading to 9.3.1, I was able to use the Pencil in the Notes app. Now, when I create a new Note, I don't get the scribble options on the keyboard. I can, however, use Microsoft OneNote and use the Pencil to draw.

I removed the Pairing in Bluetooth, reconnected and Paired the Pencil again. It's currently charged at 93%. So why can't I see the drawing options in Notes?

Thanks in advance!

Wade

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 11:32 AM

I think I have the solution...solved the problem for me. In the notes app, there are 2 folders. One has all of your notes synced to your account, the other says "On my iPad."

As long as you are in the "On my iPad" folder, the squiggly line is in the bottom right corner and you can draw with your  Pencil. If you are in the regular Notes folder, the squiggly line is not present or available. I don't know if this changed between 9.3 and 9.3.1 but this solved the problem for me. Hope this helps you.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2016 11:32 AM in response to WadesterCMH

I think I have the solution...solved the problem for me. In the notes app, there are 2 folders. One has all of your notes synced to your account, the other says "On my iPad."

As long as you are in the "On my iPad" folder, the squiggly line is in the bottom right corner and you can draw with your  Pencil. If you are in the regular Notes folder, the squiggly line is not present or available. I don't know if this changed between 9.3 and 9.3.1 but this solved the problem for me. Hope this helps you.

Apr 26, 2016 1:15 PM in response to WadesterCMH

I agree that it shouldn't matter where the note comes from, you should be able to mark it up with the  Pencil. I honestly can't remember if it worked differently before 9.3.1 as I didn't run into the problem until 9.3.1. Maybe we could mark up notes from anywhere in 9.1-9.3 but someone who is still using iOS in that range would have to confirm.

Glad it solved the problem for you as well.

Chad

iPad Pro - Pencil not working in Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.