Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference returns June 10, 2024

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote control a PowerPoint running on iPad pro

Is it possible to host a powerpoint presentation on an iPad Pro but advance the slides using my iPhone (Or other remote)? I basically have swapped out my laptop for an iPad Pro, and have my presentations on the iPad, which works fine, except that I have to swipe the iPad to get to the next slide. Since the iPad is tethered to the TV, this is not very convenient, and even if it was wireless, I would still rather not carry the iPad. Surely I'm not the first to encounter this, and hopefully someone has already worked out a solution. If so, I'd love to hear it.

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 5:41 PM

You can absolutely do this with an iPhone as the remote controller and either an iPad or a Mac computer as the presentation device As long as you open the PowerPoint presentation in Apple’s keynote app. I use this all the time.

1. Open presentation in Keynote on a Mac or iPad
  2. open keynote app on your iPhone
  3. make sure both the iPad (or Mac) and iPhone are on same WiFi network or that both are connected via Bluetooth
  4. on the iPad, click the three periods in the upper right hand corner of screen and, in the drop down menu, select, “allow remote control”
  5. on the iPhone, in the Keynote app, select the iPhone icon in the upper right hand corner of screen.
  6. Go back to remote settings menu on iPad and pair with iPhone.
  7. Back in the iPhone, follow pairing instructions. When complete, select “play”
  8. the presentation will start to play on the iPad and you’ll see a miniature version of the presentation on the iPhone. You can then advance the presentation or reverse it by touching or swiping on iPhone.
  9. One the iPhone screen, you can select the annotation tool to move a pointer that will appear in iPad screen. You can also use colored pens or highlighter to annotate the presentation.
  10. If you have an output dongle attached to iPad (or mac) you can output presentation to play through hdmi port on a tv or large screen.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2017 5:41 PM in response to Darron Jeans1

You can absolutely do this with an iPhone as the remote controller and either an iPad or a Mac computer as the presentation device As long as you open the PowerPoint presentation in Apple’s keynote app. I use this all the time.

1. Open presentation in Keynote on a Mac or iPad
  2. open keynote app on your iPhone
  3. make sure both the iPad (or Mac) and iPhone are on same WiFi network or that both are connected via Bluetooth
  4. on the iPad, click the three periods in the upper right hand corner of screen and, in the drop down menu, select, “allow remote control”
  5. on the iPhone, in the Keynote app, select the iPhone icon in the upper right hand corner of screen.
  6. Go back to remote settings menu on iPad and pair with iPhone.
  7. Back in the iPhone, follow pairing instructions. When complete, select “play”
  8. the presentation will start to play on the iPad and you’ll see a miniature version of the presentation on the iPhone. You can then advance the presentation or reverse it by touching or swiping on iPhone.
  9. One the iPhone screen, you can select the annotation tool to move a pointer that will appear in iPad screen. You can also use colored pens or highlighter to annotate the presentation.
  10. If you have an output dongle attached to iPad (or mac) you can output presentation to play through hdmi port on a tv or large screen.

Apr 29, 2017 3:03 PM in response to Darron Jeans1

I have tussled with this as well and found a work-around solution you may find acceptable. First, some background. I taught a six-week class this past winter and wanted to host Powerpoint presentations from my iPad mini, which was tethered to the projection setup with a Lightning-to-HDMI cable. It worked great. But there was no way to control the presentation remotely (from iPhone or other remote), unless I converted the Powerpoint to Keynote, which I was not willing to do because the conversion was messy and made unwanted changes/substitutions. So here's what I figured out: You can pair an Apple wireless "Magic" keyboard to the iPad, then use the arrow buttons on the keyboard to advance the Powerpoint as you walk around the room. (Note: this isn't the "Smart" keyboard that physically connects to iPad Pro.) Carrying the wireless keyboard around is not as cumbersome as it may sound, and I generally just set it on a nearby desk wherever I was speaking, which was vastly preferable to being stuck within reach of the iPad.

Remote control a PowerPoint running on iPad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.