Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil needs to be re-paired again to use, after latest update

Since 9.3.1 it seems like I have to connect/pair my pencil to the iPad Pro again to work. Each time I have done it, it seems like the charge is at 48% I've been loving my iPad Pro and pencil since December. This is the first time it has stopped loving me back :/

example:

I get up in the morning, turn on my big ole Apple Pro,

Start trying to draw with the Apple Pencil, say to myself "what the... do I have the eraser on? Wait, no, it should still be able to select stuff, Hohn durrr, it's doing that thing again where I have to plug it into the iPad Pro again to get it to work. Ok, hmm it still has 48% charge left..."

It's begun to be like a little brain test game I play. THe amount it takes to realize it's not working, seems to depend on wether my medication has kicked in yet And how dumb I'm feeling.

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 9:26 PM

1 reply

May 5, 2016 10:04 PM in response to GrimmGrimms

I've had similar issues. I bought my iPad in early March and it seemed to work really well until about a month ago. Now, if the iPad is charging, can't use the Pencil—it'll work for a minute, then stop. If the iPad's battery is low, the pencil doesn't work. I tell it to forget the pencil, repair, and still it doesn't work. If I restart the iPad, tell it to forget the pencil, re-pair the pencil, it still doesn't work a lot of times, or if it does, it only works for a few minutes. Only when the iPad is fully charged does it seem stay paired without interruption. Once I hit about 30% of battery left on the iPad is when I start seeing problems. I should also mention, I always check to make sure the tip is secure and that the pencil is charged.

It's super frustrating because I bought this for school, and it's great when it works, but generally useless to me when it doesn't. I'm taking mine to the Apple Store next week and I'll update if I find out anything helpful.

Apple Pencil needs to be re-paired again to use, after latest update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.