Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i still order a book via Aperture?

I understand that Aperture is no longer going to be supported by Apple. I have been working on a book in Aperture that's now ready to be ordered/printed. Can I still do that?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 11:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2016 2:54 AM

I'm afraid not. Apple sent out a warning to all people who ordered Aperture books last month, that the Print Services for Apple Print products will be stopped for Aperture and iPhoto at the end of March.

But try to order and tell us the result, please. Then we will know for certain, if it is over now.

You can always export the book project as a new Aperture Library and open this library in Photos for Mac and recreate the book in Photos. Only, Photos for Mac has different book themes and Photos does not support custom layouts for books. It is much more limited.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2016 2:54 AM in response to Paddydogman

I'm afraid not. Apple sent out a warning to all people who ordered Aperture books last month, that the Print Services for Apple Print products will be stopped for Aperture and iPhoto at the end of March.

But try to order and tell us the result, please. Then we will know for certain, if it is over now.

You can always export the book project as a new Aperture Library and open this library in Photos for Mac and recreate the book in Photos. Only, Photos for Mac has different book themes and Photos does not support custom layouts for books. It is much more limited.

May 24, 2016 2:11 PM in response to léonie

I guess I have this same question - since I can no longer use Aperture to produce a book, I'd like to be able to export my photos for a particular project to another program that would allow me the creative flexibility with custom layouts...but does that exist? Photos is just like iPhoto with limited templates and no flexibility... I'm glad I got a major book project done before the end of March, but I have several more in the hopper and need to find a place to try to replicate what I could do with Aperture. Any suggestions?

May 24, 2016 9:16 PM in response to tm60

I am having the same issues as you. Unfortunately I didn't get my book in on time and as a result may lose many, many hours of work. I may try Presto Photos. I can't believe Photos does not have the simple flexibilities as Aperture. Aperture is the reason I bought a Mac to begin with and I have created several great books with it. I sent some feedback to Apple about fixing these issues. Maybe if enough of us do, they will provide some updates.

May 25, 2016 8:45 AM in response to CSG17

I talked to Apple in Germany a few months ago. It seemed that several people were unhappy about the fact that Apple gave up Aperture. I am not willing to change to Fotos since I don't want to reorganize my 25,000 pictures that I have organized in Aperture. As long as one could still have books printed through Apple continuing using Aperture was not a problem. After Apple gave up the printing I tried Presto Photos, just used one of my old books and sent it to PrestoPhotos as PDF. Quality issues are minor: no paper dust cover, cover itself is a bit thinner, photo paper seems to be also a bit thinner and I lost some text underneath the pictures. Last item could be something I did wrong in the formatting.

can i still order a book via Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.