Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access iPhoto library from external hard drive

Hello,

i am trying to access my iPhoto library that is on my external hard drive. I am trying to free up space on my MacBook and want to make sure I can still retrieve stuff if I want from the external. I am getting this message (photo ). Ok won't let me upload a photojeeeeeezzzz.... You have made changes etc,,,,, newer version of iPhoto ..........do you want to quit an use the latest version,,,,,,,,or creat new version etc,,,.. I just want to access my library from tha hard drive,.. Any ideas

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), null

Posted on Apr 2, 2016 12:39 AM

13 replies

Apr 2, 2016 1:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,

OS is 10.7.5

iphot 11, 9.1.4

external disc is iomega for mac, assuming it is correct

did backups through time machine.

Ive been researching a bit more and have come accross some articles. It seems as though I might have to restore the whole library back to the macbook before i can access these photos. Is that correct? That kind of defeats the purpose

Apr 2, 2016 3:28 AM in response to albertz

You write:

i am trying to access my iPhoto library that is on my external hard drive

What has that to do with Time Machine?

external disc is iomega for mac, assuming it is correct

That's the brand, not the format. Select the drive in the Finder and go file -> Get Info. You'll see the format listed as indicated:

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2016 9:55 AM in response to albertz

If you have Time Machine you can't open an iPhoto library from the backup directly. It must be restored from the backup as shown in this screenshot.

User uploaded file

Also one should not try accessing any type of file in the Time Machine backup. All files must be restored to the boot drive before using. You could corrupt the backup so that you would not be able to retrieve any file from it.

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2016 10:43 PM in response to albertz

As Leonie says on your other thread, you can access the Masters, but you're not just backing up photos in an iPhoto Library, but an entire ecosystem of interlinked databases, files, caches and previews. In effect, within your Library a photo is not just a photo, but an image plus all your virtual editing and added metadata. Not a simple thing.

How to access iPhoto library from external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.