Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a bootable external disk?

I need to boot my MacBook from an external disk so I can repartition the internal HD using iPartition. I was thinking about using a USB-C flash drive for that.

Can someone tell me how I can create such a beast (preferably with iPartition added to it so I can actually run it).

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Core i7, 27"

Posted on Apr 2, 2016 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2016 8:05 AM

You could just install OS X on to an external drive. Then you can boot from it and use Disk Utility. The need or use of iPartition is not required.

5 replies

Apr 28, 2016 10:42 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny, how fast is Disk Utility on such a task and how energy-intensive is it? I want to boot a MacBook (USB-C) from a bootable flash drive connected to the USB-C port (so it cannot be charging at the same time, as there is only one port on the MacBook) and any manipulation I then do on the internal disk has to be finished before the battery is empty (with a safety margin to spare).

Creating a bootable external disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.