Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used a time capsule in my home. Now I have a separate network set up and would like to set my time capsule for back ups and NOT as a WiFi

I used a time capsule in my home. Now I have a separate network set up and would like to set my time capsule for back ups and NOT as a WiFi

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 2, 2016 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2016 1:57 PM

While it is possible to turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule, that would leave you only with the option to back up your Mac(s) using a wired Ethernet cable connection between the Mac(s) and Time Capsule.

Are you OK with this?

10 replies

Apr 2, 2016 2:08 PM in response to ChrisKnop

If you want to try, you might be able to back up over the ISP wireless to the Time Capsule.

But, if there are any problems or issues with this setup, Apple will not offer any help or support with the problem......since they want you to back up using either the Time Capsule wireless, or a direct wired Ethernet connection from your Mac to the Time Capsule.

Apr 2, 2016 3:39 PM in response to Mike's Pad

You are missing that Apple Support decided....about 12-18 months ago.....without ever bothering to put it in writing...... that they did not want users backing up this way with another brand of router. Your setup is fine, since it is all Apple.

We are talking here about a 3rd party router here supplied by an ISP with the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode connected to the 3rd party router.

We used to advise users to use whichever wireless that they wanted until a few users who were having problems apparently called Apple some time ago and were informed that Apple does not "officially" support this type of backup.

We are not saying that it will not work if a user wants to use his ISP wireless to back up to the Time Capsule......we are saying that if the user calls Apple to say that he is having problems with backups, Apple will say that they do not support this method of backups......and in order to obtain "official" support, the user will have to use the Time Capsule wireless, or Apple wireless, or back up directly to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable.

It gets worse. Just last week, we were working with another user who was having difficulty with his Time Capsule (in Bridge Mode), which was connected to another router using an Ethernet cable. The user was told that Apple does not support Bridge Mode in this type of setup, and the user needed to set up his Time Capsule to do DHCP and NAT (which of course, created a Double NAT issue on the network, which Apple Support said to "ignore".

We haven't heard back on that one yet, but I did ask a "genius" at the Apple Store about this a few days ago when I was in the Fort Worth store and he confirmed that Apple indeed is now telling users to configure their routers using DHCP and NAT....even if there is another 3rd party router upstream on the network. Bridge Mode is OK if the upstream routers are also Apple products.

Apr 2, 2016 4:07 PM in response to Mike's Pad

I have Wi-Fi turned off in my Time Capsule and have been backing up to it, wirelessly via Time Machine, for years. You even helped me set it up. What am I missing?

There has been a bug for a while with dns issues.. if you remember Mavericks was really bad. Yosemite was supposed to fix it.. but as with all bug fixes it led to others.. that is when apple said to ensure your computer was plugged directly to the TC or wireless direct.

Apple finally decided that some of the issue is because other manufacturers are not providing full compatibility to their DNS. Now this is my speculation..

The Bonjour sleep proxy is an issue. Maybe THE issue.

It is why people experience continual dropouts of the airport from their network so Time Machine cannot backup BUT strangely they still have internet connection..

I don't think just being directly connected to the TC is a fix either.. as it will depend on the complexity of the network..

Where does your bonjour sleep proxy live?? Which router is it is sitting on.. ?? Well it should be on the one that is the router..

Hence as Bob notes apple saying bridge is also not supported and you should double NAT..

Does that fix it.. well not if you have an Apple TV because that also can take the sleep proxy..

What a strange way to network..

It reminds me of the old peer to peer issues with master in windows.. which PC took over as the master computer.. led to all sorts of network issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.