Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost password with a1347 mini

I wiped the memory in preparation for selling my A1347 (mid 2011) Mac Mini. It does not have a disk slot so I do not have an emergency start-up disk. The buyer claims he can not log in to user "wewe" (which was not a user name we ever used.) How can I help him to set up the computer with a new user name of his choice and password?

Many thanks.

Joel

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.0.2, airport extreme

Posted on Apr 2, 2016 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 2:42 PM

Try this:

How to Create a New User Account if You Cannot Access Your Admin Account

Reboot the computer. At the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait for it finish. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to setup your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than the admin user account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See: Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2016 2:42 PM in response to Joel, the average user

Try this:

How to Create a New User Account if You Cannot Access Your Admin Account

Reboot the computer. At the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait for it finish. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to setup your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than the admin user account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See: Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

lost password with a1347 mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.